Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Relationship/Calculation advice

Kevin Carlson

I'm pretty new to FM, and I am running FM Pro 5 on a mac. I am not sure how to do what I want to do.

Basically, I have 1 file that contains science labs for students with all sorts of the lab details like the materials, procedures, etc. Each lab has as their first field a Subject -- Earth Science, Life Science, or Physical Science. Without bogging everyone down in the details, basically I want to have an interface in my 2nd FM file with three parts -- the first to allow the teacher to click on a radio button for their subject - earth, life or physical science. I then want this to return a scrollable list of all the lab titles that they can select from under their subject. Under the scrollable list I want the details of the selected lab to appear -- the materials required, the procedure, etc., depending on which lab is selected.

Right now only the first of each of the earth life and physical labs are appearing. I have I've read through a ton of posts trying to find someone who has had a similar issue but I haven't found any. Can anyone advise? I will be forever endebted to you! Feel free to email me with any possible solutions at kevin_carlson@hmco.com.

Many thanks.

kevin_carlson@hmco.com

Originally posted by Kevin Carlson:

[qb]I'm pretty new to FM, and I am running FM Pro 5 on a mac. I am not sure how to do what I want to do.

Basically, I have 1 file that contains science labs for students with all sorts of the lab details like the materials, procedures, etc. Each lab has as their first field a Subject -- Earth Science, Life Science, or Physical Science. Without bogging everyone down in the details, basically I want to have an interface in my 2nd FM file with three parts -- the first to allow the teacher to click on a radio button for their subject - earth, life or physical science. I then want this to return a scrollable list of all the lab titles that they can select from under their subject. Under the scrollable list I want the details of the selected lab to appear -- the materials required, the procedure, etc., depending on which lab is selected.

Right now only the first of each of the earth life and physical labs are appearing. I have I've read through a ton of posts trying to find someone who has had a similar issue but I haven't found any. Can anyone advise? I will be forever endebted to you! Feel free to email me with any possible solutions at kevin_carlson@hmco.com.

Many thanks.

kevin_carlson@hmco.com [/qb]

Create a field in your second DB

Call it Course Finder

Create a Value List called Course Finder

with the Values

Earth Science

Life Science

Physical Science

Now go to layout and make the

Course Finder field a radio button field

in field format using the value list course finder.

Now create a relationship between the two files

Course Finder =

Course Finder::Subject

Next create a new portal using the Course finder relationship.

Click the scoll arrow option on.

Place all the ::course finder fields inside the portal that you wish to see.

Create a small button place it inside the portal and define as

Go to related record using the course finder relationship.

Now you are done go to browse mode and click on one of radio button choices and you should see inside the portal all the courses for that particular radio button choice.

As you scroll down the list and you find the course record you wish to view click on the button next to the record in the portal. This will bring you directly to the record in the students file.

Check your email I am sending a quick sample for you.

cool.gif

Excellent! Thanks so much for your help! I think this will look pretty cool by the time I'm done and I'm finally getting the hang of it!

KC

laugh.gif

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.