The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
Pkmacman

Multi-Table Summary

Pkmacman

Hello – I'm sure this is very simple, but I've not been able to solve it.

I have two tables for an interview questionnaire. One table is Profile (contact info) and the second table is Response. The two tables are related via one key.

In some questions I ask the interviewee to rank their response using a number from 1 to 5; I use a radio button. This particular field is Response_5. A separate text field, Response_5_Why, collects the verbatim comment. I conduct the interviews and use the database to record responses directly.

I want to have a scorecard at the bottom of the layout citing results to date from all the responses. I can easily average the Profile table's YearsOnJob (not radio), a simple number field, at the bottom of the layout. It's great to see at a glance how respondents are ranking things over time. 

In the Response table, I created a Summary/Average field AVG_Response_5 to average all the radio button Response_5 responses. But when I try to display AVG_Response_5, the average function doesn't seem to work -- I just get nothing or the selection made in the radio button in current record.  

I thought there was a relationship problem, scope of table problem and so I made AVG_Response_5 global, but still the same results. Then I created a AVG_Response_5 in the Profile table, made it global and pointed it to the AVG_Response_5 in the Response table. No better. 

So, I'm not able to average a number field in Response table and display in the layout used by both Profile and Response tables. 

Help! See attached screen shot. 

FileMaker Pro Screenshot.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.