Welcome the ORIGINAL FileMaker Community

Take a moment to join us, no noise, all FileMaker...We Promise

GMak

How to select and count only specific entries from single field with multiple choices and give a total number of those records

GMak
Posted (edited)

I have an FMP16 database where I track volunteer projects at various stages of completion.  A critical field is "Project Status" and there is a drop down menu of 7 possible categories:

1. Awaiting Initial Review

2. Pending -No Decision- Need Info

3. Pending Evaluation /OK to Evaluate

4. Waiting Final Decision (Review Done)

5. Accepted

6. Declined

7. Project Completed

(I have numbered them in case any repetition of words give the search/find function trouble.)  I have successfully created a script that will return in a "Report Summary Page" various subsets of information about each account, for each status stage: e.g., for "Find 'Pending ' projects:

(SEE FIRST attached image)

where Find Mode is: (see SECOND attached image.)

So far so good.  (Although for "pending" it includes both #2 and #3, for the time being, this is workable.  Eventually I would like to be more specific)

Additionally, in the header of the "Summary Report" I have: ( SEE Third Attached Image)

Which returns the following in a report summary:  (In this case, it tells me in the header that I have 21 projects for 2019 as of 4/12/19 and this is Pending Project #16.) As below (redacted for confidentiality): \

(SEE FOURTH attached image)

THE PROBLEM/QUESTION:

HOWEVER, I need a find script to be able to choose and count MULTIPLE STATUS CATEGORIES IN A SINGLE FIELD but not ALL of them.  For example, choose "Project Status" #1, 2, 3, 4, 5 but not 6 (complete) or 7 (declined.)   

I've tried using Count, "...", listing "1." (then next line) "2." (then next line) "3." etc., and several other variations.  I thought I had a solution in "Edit Find" because you can enter multiple filters, but then I realized each filter has to be from a different field, so my "Find Year =2019" and "Find Project Status Pending" work, but not if I also want to also add AND FIND Project Status "Waiting Final Approval."

I hope I've provided enough (but not confusing) background info.

Would appreciate any suggestions!  Thanks!

Screen+Shot+2019-04-12+at+11.15.32+AM.png

Screen+Shot+2019-04-12+at+11.16.03+AM.png

Screen+Shot+2019-04-12+at+11.10.32+AM.png

Screen+Shot+2019-04-12+at+11.11.13+AM.png

Edited by GMak
Didn't have embedded images as reference and had to upload.

Steve Martino

You could use a multi key relationship and have your project status as a checkbox set, attached to an OnObjectModify script trigger to update the relationship.  

Or you can script it by gathering the project status selections and use a loop script and extend found set to perform an 'and' find. 

GMak

Sorry, but I can't comprehend anything of your explanation except I should to try to use a checkbox set.  However, a checkbox is just another form of the same thing rally, no?... I still need a script that will count only pre-specified checked box selections (same as drop-down selections)... in the Find Request script set up, you can only choose one parameter for each field.  Multiple parameters for each field would solve this.

I gather then, that FM is incapable of making simple calculations as in Excel, to (=Countif("pending") + countif("accepted")..." etc., hence the convoluted approach?

I also see you suggest a loop set.  I will try to develop this from previous DB scripts I may have.

Thanks!

Steve Martino

I’ll post a sample file tomorrow. 

GMak

Thanks!!! That would be very kind if you can.  I'm much better at Excel than FM and perhaps I'm stuck in "Excel thinking" for a solution.  I am experimenting with "constrain found set" to see if that works, but it seems to have the same limitations without a loop...

GMak

I think I got it.  This works to return only the 4 categories and NOT "declined" or "project completed."  Somehow, I was able to add multiple FIND conditions under "constrain found set" which then appeared under "2 Enter Find mode" as well.  Not sure what I didn't do right previously....

1 Show all records
2 Enter Find Mode (Pause: off]
3 Set Field [Assignments::Project Status]
4 new records request
5 Constrain Found set [Restore]
   √Specify Find Request
      Find Records... Assignments::Project Status: [=“Accepted”]
     Find Records... Assignments::Project Status: [=“pending”]
      Find Records... Assignments::Project Status: [=“waiting”]
      Find Records... Assignments::Project Status: [=“awaiting”]
6 Go To Layout ["All Projects Report Summary" (Assignments) ; Animation:None]
7 Sort Records (Restore l with dialog: off]

So this is what I was looking for.  I don't know why I missed being able to add multiple finds.  I'm still not sure but it worked when I added them to Constrain Found Set.  Perhaps I didn't do them right under Find Mode.  In any event, It works as I'd hoped.

Thanks for your time to help - and I am still interested in learning your solution with loops if you have time.  I really don't know how to do that.

Thanks!