Welcome the ORIGINAL FileMaker Community

Take a moment to join us, no noise, all FileMaker...We Promise

WillB

Finally upgrading from fp5! Questions

WillB

Hi,

I have a 3 old fp5 solutions I created years ago consisting of ~3, 5, and 8 related files.  One of the databases is Contacts and also has simple relationships to the other 2 groups.

I attempted an upgrade years ago - but didn’t finish.  Now I finally want to address this.  I’d like to do it the easiest way possible.  I’m fine with it not being as slick or as modernized as it might be, since I’m the only user.  

I’ve been running FMPro 6 on an old computer w/ OS X 10.6  I also have FM Pro Advanced 11.  So far, i have only the demo version of MetaDataMagic (3 file limit)

I’ve spent a couple of days getting back into FM and how the components of my solutions are related and working - and revisiting the upgrade challenges.

I have a number of questions and would be grateful if anyone could offer some advice!!

1. Many fields, scripts, value lists, layout, etc are poorly named (i.e.spaces, non-alphanumeric characters…)   I’m wondering what is the simplest way to do this considering relationships and scripts calling external fields, layouts, and files will be affected.  When I did test conversions, i see some of these converted without changes (although the log said “poor name”).  

I can rename all these in FM6, or Is it better to make some of these name changes after conversion to fp7 in FM Pro Advanced 11?  i.e. is FM 11 advanced  smarter about correcting related occurrences of a field or script name automatically when i change it in one place?  (Any tips about where that works or doesn’t work?)  I can imagine that finding every last reference that needs to be changed will be quite tedious.

2. Will it be worth $200 for metadatamagic to save lots of time and headaches with this (and other issues?)  As I am not a FM Developer, i would never use this program again.  And will the $200 version for 10 files work - given that if i were to include ALL my related files - it would mean about 13 at once.  If i do this w/ metadatamagic - I assume that would mean that I will have to make all those changes in fp5, right?  And I assume the 3 file limit of the demo will be too limiting,  right?

3. regarding combining tables after conversion, I certainly see the benefits of that.  Given that this is for my own use only, and I’d like to keep this upgrading project as simple as possible, do you still suggest i do that step as well?

Many thanks for any suggestions!

- Will

AHunter3

I would start with a brand new empty file and move over the layouts, redo the relationships, redo the scripts in modern script structure, and so forth.

Converting your old .fp5 files is useful because you can use elements from the converted file, but I would not actually use the converted files as your modern database.  It's akin to trying to modernize a medieval manor house.  Too much of the structure came from an era long before modern building materials, electricity, running water, etc.  

WillB

Thank you for your advice.  I would also be extremely grateful if you or anyone would answer some of the specific immediate conversion questions posed in my original post.

Best,  Will

AHunter3

Oops, sorry.  OK let's see...

1. Many fields, scripts, value lists, layout, etc are poorly named (i.e.spaces, non-alphanumeric characters…)   I’m wondering what is the simplest way to do this considering relationships and scripts calling external fields, layouts, and files will be affected.  When I did test conversions, i see some of these converted without changes (although the log said “poor name”).  

I can rename all these in FM6, or Is it better to make some of these namechanges after conversion to fp7 in FM Pro Advanced 11?

If you're talking about in the original files Converted, dive in post facto and rename.  Spaces are only a problem outside of FileMaker; Slashes, pipes, words reserved as the names of functions, parentheses, and so forth are a problem within FileMaker.  Fields and table-occurrence names (formerly: relationship names) are the most critical; for the most part you don't need to be concerned as much about value list names, layout names, etc, unless (once again) you need to access your structure from outside of FileMaker.

2. Will it be worth $200 for metadatamagic to save lots of time and headaches with this (and other issues?)

As I am not a FM Developer, i would never use this program again.

MetaDataMagic is a nice tool.  I would not buy it for this and this alone.

3. regarding combining tables after conversion, I certainly see the benefits of that.

Given that this is for my own use only, and I’d like to keep this upgrading project as simple as possible, do you still suggest i do that step as well?

You're going to have to unpack that.  Mostly it isn't TABLES you ought to combine after conversion unless you had your data split up in a way that was wrong and inappropriate under FileMaker 6 (5, 4, 3...) as well.  It's FILES.  There's no reason a solution should consist of multiple files any more without a specific case for that being made*.  Under FileMaker ≤ 6, each table required its own separate file.  I would rebuild from the ground up as s single file containing all layouts, scripts, fields, etc.; it's just more elegant that way.  

*the usual reason is a multi-user production environment supported by a vertical-market developer who sells that same solution to a couple dozen companies.  Separate data from structure, modify only the structure file, send your customer a replacement structure file periodically and not have to import all their data.  It mostly doesn't work and I still would not do it as a general rule, but that's the main argument in favor of multiple files.

AHunter3

Yeesh.

Ross, please fix your board.  Bloody hell.

Ross MacLane

Alan...watch this please. This board is actually better than VB...sorry for the watermark...I need to buy another license

AHunter3

Sorry, other stuff is stressing me and I had no business bringing my crankiness here to the board.  I'm used to vB behavior and got impatient when I couldn't get interspersed quotes to work the way I wanted them to.

WillB

Thank you Alan. 

Sorry i was unclear in my original post - in the last section i meant combining the separate related files from FM6.

At the moment i'm replacing the TODAY function occurrences, sorting out changes that affect auto updating of 'last modified date',  plus script issues that arise in the fp5 to fp7 conversion.  I first want to get everything properly converted to fp7 and working in FM11 Advanced.  

Ross MacLane
12 hours ago, AHunter3 said:

Sorry, other stuff is stressing me and I had no business bringing my crankiness here to the board.  I'm used to vB behavior and got impatient when I couldn't get interspersed quotes to work the way I wanted them to.

Understand Alan...we all are living in a stressed filled time...TRUMP time!