James56

Fill in a field on one layout based on action in another

James56

Hi all! Thanks for any and all help in advance. Here's my issue:

I have the following fields in a Table - Ledger_Chgs:

Ledger_Chgs::Date   Auto filled with current date when a Charge is made
Ledger_Chgs::c_Month  calculation  Month(Ledger_Chgs::Date)
Ledger_Chgs::c_Year  calculation  Year(Ledger_Chgs::Date)
Ledger_Chgs::AmtDues  Drop down list of the amount a student pays each month
Ledger_Chgs::Clinic   Drop down list of the amount a student pays for a clinic
Ledger_Chgs::Exam   Drop down list of the amount a student pays for an exam
Ledger_Chgs::ISKF   Amount a student pays yearly for parent org membership

The Ledger_Chgs Table is related to another Table named Students_Ledger by StudentId.

I have a layout based on this Students_Ledger Table that shows the students name, phone number and Attendance.
I have a field for the AmtDues, Clinic/Exam and ISKF on this layout but they are in the Students_Ledger Table and are Text fields that I fill in manually with "Pd" when the student makes their monthly dues payment or remain empty if they are not. The students will always have a dues amount monthly but may not have any of the other charges or they may have dues and some or all of the other charges. What I'd like to happen is when I record a payment in the Ledger_Chgs Table it would show "Pd" on the Students_Ledger Layout for the month in question. I have tried various Case statements and If statements but I'm really out of my league here and these have been mostly guesses with little or no results. This may be pretty simple but my problems rarely are. Any help is greatly appreciated. I can attach my file if anyone wants to take a look. It's in the beginning stages but this issue is my current challenge.

Thanks for taking the time,

Jim

Steve Martino

I don't quite follow what's going on.

Does the layout/TO show a balance anywhere?  If it does, then the fields could be switched from text to a calculation that returns "Pd" when the balance is 0.

How are dues assigned each month?

James56

Steve,

Thank you for your reply. Yes there is a balance TotalChgsLessPayments but it may have a balance due to the other fields like Clinic or ISKF even if Dues are paid. I will attach the file in zip format. The Ledger portal is in the Students Layout and the form I want things to show on is Print Attendance Layout. Maybe looking at it will explain it better. Right now I enter payments in the Ledger and then mark them Pd on the Print Attendance Layout. I'd like to eliminate that step for all of the items/fields if I can. Thanks,

Jim

Attendance.zip

Steve Martino

I took a look, it's beyond my skills.

Some notes, if it were me.

I would meet with a professional certified FileMaker developer to see if you're on the right track, especially from a structural point.  I don't think your relationships are properly set, and because of this you are using many more TO's then may be necessary.  I'd rather pay now to make sure it's right, then pay later in both time and wasted money.

It could also mean you head so far down the wrong road that you end up either destroying data, and/or needing a complete rebuild.

Regarding structure, I remember a post about needing another join table for partial payments, but I was unable to locate it.

Accounting and Ledgers in general are very complicated, and require knowledge of accounting, bookkeeping, and federal, state, and local tax laws, especially as it relates to sales tax.

In fact accounting is so hard that I've ever only seen one solution available in FileMaker, and a few plug-ins to connect a DB to an Accounting Solution.  The custom accounting solutions developers make for their clients easily go into the 5 or 6 figures.

Take a look at just the relationship graph from EasyAccounting, to see what's probably involved.

http://filemakeraccounting.com/products/10/ea10_0_relationships.php

From a design standpoint, there's always the tried and true notion of avoiding 'Fruit Salad' in your layouts, meaning having many contrasting colors on a layout.

James56

Steve,

Thank you for your time. I managed to get it to work. I understand what you are saying about the accounting part but this is a sole proprietorship business and as such is included in my personal taxes. The tax part is quite simple and this 'solution' is only for my convenience. I only have 33 members so paying a developer is out of the question even though they are worth their weight in gold. I've had many help me in the past and can't say enough great things about all of them.

As to the colors - well, what can I say? I'm 65 years young and it helps me to locate things a bit easier. And I'm the only one who uses this so I guess it'll be ok. I really do appreciate you taking the time and effort to help me out. Thank you.

Please take care.

Jim