James56

Getting data from tables to layout

James56

Hi all! I have a problem getting information from ½ tables and formatting it like I want. I’m pretty sure it’s possible but just outside of my very limited abilities. Here are the details as best I can describe.

Tables and relationships

Attendance=AttendanceDetails  = Students_AttendanceDetails

AttendanceId = AttendanceIdFk   and StudentIdPk = StudentIdFk

The Student_AttendanceDetails table contains the students name and such.

The Attendance table contains the Classes, Dates of Classes, and what day the are offered on.

The AttendanceDetails table contains the actual attendance of the students on those class days.  Present or Absent for each student of each class on each day.

This all works fine for entering attendance and creating reports as needed. Recently I've been having senior students (over 30 yrs old and at least 2nd. degree black belts) instruct to give me some time off to deal with medical issues. They are not computer users at all so I made a sheet that I could print out. It has the students name, and squares for each day of the month that that class is offered on with the day/dates above each square. They take attendance each class by penciling in a P or an X in the squares and I enter the information in the computer when I have the time. The problem has arisen that sometimes they mismark a person or day then scribble it out (quite messy) or accidently ruin (sweaty hands) the sheet in the middle of the month. I then print a new one and hand fill it in and they go from there. I would like to be able to have a layout that is always updated with the information as it is entered in the computer so I can print a new sheet if need be. I also keep these sheets as records so I want nice copies. I have tried to make this using the horizontal portal method and can get the data but it's not the correct data for the dates as it should be. I'm thinking it has to do with the Dates of classes being in the Attendance table and the actual classes being in the AttendanceDetails table.

I'll try to attach a screen shot of the layout that I'm using so that maybe it'll make more sense.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jim

Example-1.png

Steve Martino

I'm afraid I don't understand your question.  If the data is entered everyday, then it's always updated.

Seems like you could create a privilege set for the instructors, with their own log in credentials, and lock everything down but this layout.  Then they could log on, check the appropriate boxes, log off.  You could even put that on an iPad, use the built in peer to peer sharing (only allowing access to just that layout) too.

Although, taking a second look, maybe a restructure is in order (if I'm reading it correctly).

Table of students

Table of classes-every 1 class is a record

Join Table of Attendance has fk from Students and a fk from Classes.

There are many examples of this on the forums.  This is similar to adding people to a meeting, and taking attendance.

Then a portal in Students will show every class they were assigned and their attendance.

And a portal in Classes, with additional TO, can show every student who took a particular class, on a particular day.

Then you could report by the month (which would look closer to your screenshot)

James56
Posted (edited)

Steve,

I see I didn't state what I'm trying to do very well. No one but me will be using the computer. The instructors use a sheet of paper printed to look like the example. The information I put into the computer is on a layout total different than the one you're seeing. The one I use contains only the information for that class on that day. I want to see a months worth at a time in real time and print it out. As I enter it it would display on the layout that I posted. Does that make more sense?

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by James56

Steve Martino

I edited my first response.  See if that helps.  But to your response, if you create a layout like that, and enter the info daily, then reprinting it would most likely be what you want.

However, I would consider doing some research on Virtual list techniques for that layout/report, as you can make the date column headers dynamic so you don't have to make 12 layouts (months) or change the layout every month.  If you were going to do that you may be better with a spreadsheet, then import monthly.

Here's a link to give you some info.  If you read thru all the 'virtual list' articles, you'll see how he creates a report similar to your layout, keeping the date column headers dynamic.

https://filemakerhacks.com/2016/04/27/virtual-list-reporting-part-1/

Another question, is dues paid dependent on days attended, or is it fixed per month?

James56

Steve,

I don't make 12 layouts currently. I have a script that I  select the month and year and it populates the header on the layout. These dates are not connected to any other information in the solution - they are for creating the layout monthly only.

I see your edited reply but still not sure if it's what I'm trying to do. I would want this to reflect the information for the month on a daily basis. No attendance, no data in the squares. One day or many days of records would show up at anytime.

Thank you for your patience.

Jim

James56

Steve,

Sorry, but I'm not concerned about the other data such as dues and so on just the attendance.

Thanks,

Jim

James56

Steve,

I don't know why but the original post says getting info from 1/2 table! I meant for it to say 1 or 2 tables, actually 3 or more probably.

Thanks,

Jim