Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Find value and update list.

charlesdh

Hi,

I've been at this for some time tryin tp update related value after a find.

My file has 3 drop downs. "Length", "Width" and "Depth". They each have a list.

I do not have a relationship graft set up.(Only 1 table)

Currently I have a script that will find a selected value for length.

I'm trying to find away that when the script runs the "List" for "Width" and "Depth" will only show the related values for the searched item.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks

Charles

Where are the values for the list stored? 

Where do they come from?

How are related values determined?

We need to know much more about the process of determining which widths are associated with which depths.

Can you explain your (real-world, not how you attempted to solve it) situation more thoroughly?

doughemi,

Thanks for your response.

The data is stored on my hard drive. 

I'm using the data in a table called "Products".

The file I'm working with I already have working with Conditional Values. But, would like to do it with a "Find" or Filtered .

The related data as a example is If select "20" for a "length" and do a "Find" the list view will show 2 records. One will show "Width" = 18, "Depth" = 12.  

The second will show "Width" = 12, "Depth" = 9.  These values should show in a popup because they are "Related?" to the the value of 20(length). Which is what I'm trying to accomplish.

I hope this info helps.

Charles

Hi,

The following is the data that I'm working with. It by no means is all of the data. The end result after all of the selection should be the "Product".

image.png.d06fa8caec95153a77246bceea6c6d6f.png

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

I wonder if someone can help with this. I can supply more information if necessary.

Thanks

Charles

Steve,

Thanks for this. It works great from "Left" to "Right". However, I trying to do the same function except I want it to be able to work no mater which category I select. 

Such as if I select "Width" the Length and Depth will show the related values. I'll see if I can modify your code.

Thanks

Charles

It won't work by changing the script because it's a dwindling value list.  You probably can do it if your double or triple the Table Occurrences and use Script Parameters to branch to the right TO's.

Here's 2 files with lots of goodies from the brilliant mind of Phil Caulkins (PhilModJunk) on the other forum.  See if you can draw any ideas.

Adventure 1 CVLs.fmp12

Adventure 2 EVS.fmp12

Steve,

Thanks for the info. I already looked at the "Adventure" and have it working. But, I would like to be able to do a search from any selection an have the related data in the dropdown as you have shown.

When you mentioned "Double or Triple TO's". Does that mean if I have the 3 fields as in my example I will need to have a TO for each one? The real data that I have will require up to 10 search fields.

Thanks

Charles

Think of it this way as to why it won't work..

Left to right you pick the first value.  The second drop down can only have values relating to the first.  You select a value.  The third drop down can only show a value from records that have the first two in common.  Popping the 3rd drop down again won't ever have all the values from all the records unless you clear the values in the other 2 drop downs, effectively nullifying the whole process.  

The complicated workaround would be multiple sets of table occurrences like

1-2-3, 1-3-2

2-3-1, 2-1-3

3-1-2, 3-2-1

So you could either set global variables to hide/show the proper Global drop downs with script triggers to point to the right TO's, or switch to finds that constrain records

Steve,

Thanks for the info. If I switch to "Finds" that constrain records will this in turn show the the related value for further selections or will I need a script for the related values?

Thanks

Charles

Important Information

Terms of Use