Welcome the ORIGINAL FileMaker Community

Take a moment to join us, no noise, all FileMaker...We Promise

christinaluis

Filter within a portal

christinaluis
Posted (edited)

Hi Everyone, 

I am working on a database for work, a ticketing system.  I have a portal that is connected to a table that is a duplicate of the main table so i can pull information from w/in that table and display it.  The problem that I am having is that it shows ALL records including the current record.  Im not very familiar with writing calculations to help filter the information. Some help would be amazing.  I've googled and googled and haven't found what I need.   

We track laptop issues as well as iPad issues in this database.  I have a tabbed view that shows the ticket information and tech notes etc.  The tab for iPads highlights if the ticket that is put in is for an iPad.  What I would like to show on the iPad tab is all history for the particular iPad that the ticket is for.  Right now it displays everything...if it is the current record and a laptop issue the portal will show that ticket.  IF it is an iPad that has a history (more than 1 ticket) it will show the current record and that history.  I would really like it if it would only show the other iPad history and nothing to do with laptops. So if it is a laptop ticket it should be blank, although thinking about this, its not a big deal because we do not use that iPad tab unless its an iPad issue. 

Would it be best to use a script that does a search for any iPad with that ID? Then Omit the current record?  I am not 100% sure what that would look like.  I do know that you can filter through the portal pop up window, but it requires a calculation and I am not even sure where to start with that.  

Thanks In advance!

Christina

TableRelationships.png

Tab Highlighted with portal 1 record.png

Laptop issue.png

Laptop Portal View.png

Portal View - shows history.png

Edited by christinaluis
had a name other than mine showing.

AHunter3

I have a portal that is connected to a table that is a duplicate of the main table so i can pull information from w/in that table and display it

I hope it isn't literally a second duplicate table.  If it's a duplicate table occurrence, on the relationship graph, of the same table, that's fine and exactly what you should be doing; an entire duplicate table would be a bad idea.

What I would like to show on the iPad tab is all history for the particular iPad that the ticket is for.  Right now it displays everything

Your relationship is set up as District ID = District ID.  That's wrong.  What is the unique identifier of each individual piece of hardware?  Do you have an Item ID that would be unique for each and every iPad and laptop? (You should).  Let's say that the name of that field is Item ID.  Replace "District ID = District ID" with "Item ID = Item ID".  

Now you want to constrain the portals (not the relationship) to show only iPads on the iPad tab and only laptops on the laptop tab?  Do you have a field, such as (let's say) Ticket Type that would have "laptop" or "iPad" as its value?  If so, that's what you put in the filter:

Ticket Type="iPad"

Finally, you want to omit the current record from showing in the portal?  Add this second filter:

Ticket ID ≠ Ticket ID

Then, to omit your current record from also showing up in the portal, 

• Like 1

christinaluis

Hi AHunter,

13 hours ago, AHunter3 said:

I hope it isn't literally a second duplicate table.  If it's a duplicate table occurrence, on the relationship graph, of the same table, that's fine and exactly what you should be doing; an entire duplicate table would be a bad idea.

I believe it the duplicate is only in the relationship screen that is where I created it.  I will verify when I get to work Monday

13 hours ago, AHunter3 said:

Your relationship is set up as District ID = District ID.  That's wrong.  What is the unique identifier of each individual piece of hardware?  Do you have an Item ID that would be unique for each and every iPad and laptop? (You should).  Let's say that the name of that field is Item ID.  Replace "District ID = District ID" with "Item ID = Item ID".  

Our District ID is a unique number. No two pieces of hardware laptop or iPad can have the same number.  There is also the serial number I could use.

I do have a field that is required when filling out the “iPad Ticket” it’s a list of categories. The person putting in the ticket has I choose something so I can use that. 

I will try your suggestions on Monday. 

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Christina

AHunter3

Yeah, in that case District ID = District ID should be appropriate — just add the other two components to the portal filter (the Ticket Type and the Ticket ID as described) 

• Like 1

christinaluis

Hi AHunter3, 

I did double check on the table - it is only in the relationship screen, not a whole table. :)

On 4/29/2018 at 4:33 AM, AHunter3 said:

Yeah, in that case District ID = District ID should be appropriate — just add the other two components to the portal filter (the Ticket Type and the Ticket ID as described) 

I tried the ticket ID  part that worked great thank you! 

On 4/28/2018 at 5:44 AM, AHunter3 said:

Ticket Type="iPad"

However Im having a hard time with the Ticket type part.  I do have a field that triggers the highlight at the top - plus its something that the teacher MUST fill out on the actually ticket layout in order to submit the ticket.  iPad Issues.  In order for the ticket type to work do I need to create a new field for "Ticket Type" ? 

I tried putting Ticket Type ="iPad Issues" the system threw back an error stating that it could not find that field.  

Thank you for all of your help

Christina

christinaluis

Ok, SO we have decided to change a few names and maybe we are ok with the information that it is showing.  The showing of the current record is fixed thanks to you!  Have a wonderful day!