The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
gdaniels99

YouTube videos no longer showing

gdaniels99

One year ago I created a video & script database for a TV show. We archive our shows on YouTube and scripts at DropBox and view each in the database via a web viewer. Each record contains a YouTube embed code that is displayed in the web viewer. This has worked flawlessly for the past year.

But today when I opened the database, none of the videos will load in the web viewer any longer. It attempts to load (the URL displays beneath the video window and the progress bar shows it is loading) but then it only shows black. (See image below.)

5acf824e93fcf_2018-04-1211_56_41-Greenshot.thumb.jpg.a0f6e0e4c7a94177b1230f8b9db8e454.jpg

The database has not been changed since I set it up a year ago. It has been in data entry mode ever since. So my only guess is that YouTube has changed something on their end??? I upload our scripts to DropBox and these are still viewable in the web viewer on the scripts layout so I know it's not an internet connectivity issue. Only the YouTube videos fail to load.

Thoughts?

Ross MacLane
On 4/12/2018 at 11:14 AM, gdaniels99 said:

So my only guess is that YouTube has changed something on their end???

Hello GD...Your YouTube URL is set to embed...it should be set to "watch" "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yrU5W1Ugxw"

gdaniels99
On 4/13/2018 at 3:33 PM, Ross MacLane said:

Hello GD...Your YouTube URL is set to embed...it should be set to "watch" "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yrU5W1Ugxw"

I've used EMBED links for over a year and everything has worked flawlessly. In fact, I just viewed the database on my iPhone via Filemaker Go and the videos play flawlessly. They've played flawlessly on the desktop version of Filemaker Pro since I created the database over a year ago... until 4 days ago when they stopped working.

The whole reason I use the YouTube EMBED link and not the WATCH link is because the WATCH link loads the entire YouTube page into the web viewer and not just the video. The EMBED link shows only the video.

Since the EMBED link works on FileMaker Go....and has worked on FileMaker Pro for over a year until just 4 days ago...I think there must be another issue.

Thoughts?

AHunter3

Verified:  that the URL as shown in the screen shot works just fine in a web viewer under FileMaker 10;

that it likewise works fine under FileMaker 13; and that the same file, when opened in FileMaker 16, also runs the video without issues.

In short it appears that the problem is not that FileMaker stopped supporting YouTube URLs or that YouTube has stopped supporting this particular type of URL, but rather that something is amiss on your computer or in your specific database.  Or is being blocked on your network.

You'll need to do some process-of-elimination work:  got another computer nearby you can try it on and see if the problem is unique to your computer?  Can you take your laptop to a nearby Starbucks or equivalent and see if it works there?  Create an entire new database from scratch, create a web viewer and aim it at your URL, does it work better than the database you've been using?

gdaniels99
34 minutes ago, AHunter3 said:

Verified:  that the URL as shown in the screen shot works just fine in a web viewer under FileMaker 10;

that it likewise works fine under FileMaker 13; and that the same file, when opened in FileMaker 16, also runs the video without issues.

In short it appears that the problem is not that FileMaker stopped supporting YouTube URLs or that YouTube has stopped supporting this particular type of URL, but rather that something is amiss on your computer or in your specific database.  Or is being blocked on your network.

You'll need to do some process-of-elimination work:  got another computer nearby you can try it on and see if the problem is unique to your computer?  Can you take your laptop to a nearby Starbucks or equivalent and see if it works there?  Create an entire new database from scratch, create a web viewer and aim it at your URL, does it work better than the database you've been using?

Here are the tests I've performed so far:

1. Turned cellular data off on my iPhone and used company's WiFi to access internet. YouTube links operated flawlessly inside FileMaker Go.

2. During lunch break I went home and opened database on my Mac laptop on home network. YouTubeEMBED  links operated flawlessly. (Filemaker Pro 15.03)

3. Brought Macbook to work and connected to office WiFi and opened the database. YouTube EMBED links operated flawlessly.

4. Updated Macbook Filemaker Pro to version 15.04 from 15.03. Re-opened database and YouTube EMBED links operated flawlessly.

5. Opened database on another PC in my office running Filemaker 15.04. YouTube links will not load.

6. On my original PC, I changed the YouTube EMBED link to a WATCH link and the video loads fine. (Of course it loads with the whole youtube page which is :not: what I want. This is why I use the EMBED link.) So clearly my network isn't blocking YouTube videos.

Scratching my head............why would the WATCH link load and not the EMBED link? This suggests to me there is no network problem.

7. I also was able to successfully add a Facebook video link and web viewer loaded the video properly. Again....this suggests no network problem.

8. I also created a new database with a webviewer and url field and posted EMBED link in URL field and got the same problem of video not loading.

So the EMBED links work flawlessly on Filemaker Go on iPhone and on Filemaker 15.03 & 15.04 on MacBook Pro. Will not work on two PC's I tested (even though they've been working for the past year.) But a YouTube WATCH link :will: load properly on PC's suggesting no network blocking issues.

Thoughts?

AHunter3

Hmmph.  Well, it's more information than we had.  

** tries it in Windows 7 **

Yeah, platform divergence.  Doesn't work in either FileMaker 11 or FileMaker 14 on a Windows box.

Contact FileMaker Inc and see if they can explain why.

gdaniels99

Just discovered that this is a known issue with FileMaker Pro 15 that has been fixed in FileMaker Pro 16. But there is a workaround detailed in this thread:

https://community.filemaker.com/thread/156255

"In Windows 7, go into the Registry (Start > Run CMD > enter: regedit) and go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Internet Explorer -> MAIN -> FeatureControl -> FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION -> FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe

Change this decimal value from 9000 to 11000.

The Web Viewer will now display properly.

TSGal, FileMaker, Inc."

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.