Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Tracking a rolling 5 week period

Jabert

I am stumped.

I am constructing an app that requires tracking a participants' attendance over a rolling period of 5 weeks. Each person is assigned a day of the week for their attendance.

The criteria are that a person is withdrawn if his or her attendance is fewer than 2 times in any 5 week period.

For example: for Mondays in the period of 1 January through 28 February:

if  a person misses January 1st, 8th and 29th, they are withdrawn from eligibility,

if  a person misses January  8th, and 22nd and February 5th  they are withdrawn from eligibility

I a person misses January 1st, 15th and February 12th, they remain eligible.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I am stumped.
I am constructing an app that requires tracking a participants' attendance over a rolling period of 5 weeks. Each person is assigned a day of the week for their attendance.
The criteria are that a person is withdrawn if his or her attendance is fewer than 2 times in any 5 week period.
For example: for Mondays in the period of 1 January through 28 February:
if  a person misses January 1st, 8th and 29th, they are withdrawn from eligibility,
if  a person misses January  8th, and 22nd and February 5th  they are withdrawn from eligibility
I a person misses January 1st, 15th and February 12th, they remain eligible.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

As always, solving this problem depends upon a lot of variables that you, the programmer, control.

One solution is to create a portal of attendance dates (or absences - depending if you are counting classes attended or missed) on a student layout (form).  Create a starting date in a global start date field, which can automatically populate an ending global date. and use those dates in the attendance definition (old-timer's way in creating portal definition) or to filter the portal (newer method).  Count the number of records in the portal and you have the information you need.

Here is a calculation that will give you the date from 5 weeks ago. You feed it the assigned day. I laid this out to show you the steps in the calculation to arrive at the answer. There are other more efficient ways to get the same answer, but this should get you going.

Let 
( 
[

aDate = Date ( 1 ; 1 ; 2017 ) ; 
aDayNumber = DayOfWeek ( aDate ) ; 

assignedDay = "Tuesday" ;
assignedDayNumber = 
	Substitute 
	(
		assignedDay ; 
			[ DayName ( aDate ) ; 1 ] ;
			[ DayName ( aDate + 1 ) ; 2 ] ;
			[ DayName ( aDate + 2 ) ; 3 ] ; 
			[ DayName ( aDate + 3 ) ; 4 ] ; 
			[ DayName ( aDate + 4 ) ; 5 ] ; 
			[ DayName ( aDate + 5 ) ; 6 ] ; 
			[ DayName ( aDate + 6 ) ; 7 ]
	) ;

todayDate = Get ( CurrentDate ) ; 
todayDayNumber = DayOfWeek ( todayDate ) ; 

dateOffset = ( todayDayNumber - assignedDayNumber ) ;
endDate = Case ( dateOffset >= 0 ; todayDate - dateOffset ; todayDate - dateOffset - 7 ) ;

startDate = endDate - ( 5 * 7 )

] ; 

startDate

)

aDate is just a date I know is Sunday to calculate the day value we need for the rest of the calculation.

• Like 1

Sorry to say that my level of expertise is insufficient to understand your suggestion. I cannot see how to adapt it to my app.

I may not have been clear enough in my original post. What is needed is a way to display a warning in a persons' record.
This would be used to generate a weekly delinquency list.

I am attaching a copy of my app containing data for the month of January. Record number 1294 is an example of a record that should generate a warning message.

I had in mind utilizing six fields (Monday through Saturday - they are not open on Sundays) each containing a value of 1 or zero, and representing Monday through Saturday results. In the beginning, all fields would be set to 0).
Each week the value of these fields would stay at 1 (if the person attended, or would be set to 0 if they did not.
The idea was to have a sixth field containing the total of the five fields and, when the total was less than 3, a message would appear showing that that person was now eliminated from participation.
Also the value of the sixth field would set the persons' status from “Active” to “Withdrawn”.

HoY App.fmp12.zip

My suggestion gives you the date that covers the past 5 weeks based on whatever day is their assigned day. From there you need to look at the records to see what days they missed ( or were in attendance ).

I don't have the bandwidth to look at your file at the moment. Did you look at @doughemi's sample?!

Your file is corrupt! Please make sure there are no spaces in the filename, like this "Hoy_App.fmp12.ZIP" and resend. And if you had no access you would NOT be able to POST ANYTHING! If that does not work put it on Dropbox or somewhere.

3 hours ago, Jabert said:

my level of expertise is insufficient to understand your suggestion. I can

It also sounds like you need a developer to complete this...I would suggest Messaging Doug or Josh. We are here to help you as much as we can but we are not here to build your solution or it's most difficult parts.

I corrected the name of the file and resent it to Doughemi. Until I get my access restored there is not much else to do bu wait.

Thanks for your interest.

You have access now :S...otherwise you would not be able to respond like you are currently doing or even see your question. Try uploading your file to DROPBOX. There is nothing else that can be done on this end. I think a need a Martini!

Forgot to mention that the layout called Line by Line has all the January data entered. If there is a "1" in the P/U field it means the pickup for that date was made; if there is a blank it means that person missed his/her pickup for that date.

Important Information

Terms of Use