Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

External storage for Container Fields

torch_55

I am using FMP 16 and have set up a container field to hold interactive PDF content and to use the external storage option. When I add a PDF to this field, it is stored in three formats (pdf, png & jpg). Is there a way to have it just stored as PDF?

Josh,

I have the button selected for Interactive content, see attachment. I am just a little baffled as to why FileMaker wants to save a PDF in the other two formats (jpg & png) as well. Seems like a waste of storage space. Hope to figure out how to just save as PDF.

Thanks.

Rick

Capto_Capture 2018-02-08_04-25-23_PM.jpg

Can you try replicating that behavior in a separate file? And post it here. That may make it easier to help figure out. If you don't want to post it publicly, you can private message me a link to download it.

Josh,

Sorry for the delay, I was out of touch for a period. I am attaching the files that you requested. The FileMaker file, a copy of the jpg & png files (could not upload the third pdf file) and a screen capture of the files that are loading all three (pdf, jpg & png) formats when dragging a pdf file into the container field.

Hope this helps. 

Rick

Containers.fmp12

Sling Set - Minor Set_148.jpg

Sling Set - Minor Set_148.png

Capto_Capture 2018-02-12_11-30-32_AM.jpg

Thank you for posting the file. I am having some trouble downloading the file. I will take a look at it as soon as I am able to download the file.

I was able to get the file ( with some help from @Ross MacLane ). Testing it here, I am only getting one file, the PDF it self. It could be a couple things: 

• Something in the PDF is causing the files to be generated. I would need your PDF to try and test that.
  • Something on your server is generating the files when you up load the PDF.

Josh,

I cannot find a way to attach a pdf file through the forum as it does not seem to support that format. So, not sure how to get the file to you.

I really appreciate you looking into this.

Rick

I can not replicate the behavior. I've tried dozens of configurations. There must be something on the server running to generate the jpg and png.

Sure. I know about the thumbnails. But it was not creating them for me. Then again...it's possible I have a script running at the os level to delete them. LOL

Important Information

Terms of Use