The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum

Hershy_s

I create invoices and save the record as a PDF and attach them to an e mail.

While most customers have no problem opening and printing the invoice, I have a minuscule portion of customers who can't open the PDF.

As you can well imaging my customer isn't interested in troubleshooting his problem with me, he is just as happy for me to mail him the invoice. (which is a waste of my time), The only thing I'm sure of is that they are using Windows. (Don't know the version).

Any help would be much appreciated

AHunter3

Can you get even a minimal bit of cooperation from your customer, as in "Can you open any PDF files whatsoever" or "Would you mind seeing if you can open this PDF file?"

If not, getting the PDFs to work will be difficult at best, you'll be working in the dark. If it were me in that situation I'd do a modification of the script to harvest the text of the invoice layout to plain text and dump it into the email body.

Rossdigital

There is a known issue (with anecdotal resolutions) that on the Windows side, some PDF's generated by Filemaker may not be readable or printable. The specific circumstances are on databases that were created on previous versions of Filemaker (like v13), have been upgraded to v15 or v16. The layouts more than likely (and this is anecdotal at best), may use the retired "classic" theme, which is not CSS friendly. In my case, users printing to some low end printers cannot print their PDF's, but can when printing to printers with more memory. Mac users seem to be exempt from this problem. I am working on troubleshooting this issue.

Hershy_s

To answer Ahunter3 even if one customer supplies me with minimal information I'm still left with a scattering of other customers who still can't open or print the PDF file.

I'm really surprised and disappointed in there are no resolutions to such a fundamental issue. How is one to send an invoice if not by PDF (as all do). I googled this problem and the problem seems to be in the fonts extension TTF into ttf. Am I expected to go to my fonts and change them all when I'm really not sure if this is the problem

jaymo67

Are you using FileMaker 14 as your profile suggests? There's also an issue with FileMaker 15.0.1 that was fixed in v2:

https://support.filemaker.com/s/answerview?anum=000025855&language=en_US

I couldn't find any mention of a FileMaker 14 problem but it does ring a bell. Are you running the current version of FileMaker 14 which is 14.06?

Hershy_s

Yes I'm using 14.06 and I still have a problem

Canonfan5D

Thanks for your suggestion to 15 version 2. But Sometime I also feel the pain. Very few, to be more specific, two times only. I am also a FileMaker 14 user. 

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.