Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

How to use Set Field

Jabert

Can someone please explain the Set Field script step?

I have attached a simple file, with a one step script.

It seems to me that this script should change Field B in Layout 1 to the value of field D from Layout 2. But when I run the script nothing happens.

TIA

Untitled 10.19.22 AM.fmp12.zip

Set Field By Name requires the field to be on the layout. If you ran your script with the debugger you would see it gives an error "Layout object missing"

I am guessing that you meant that either Field D had to be on the layout containing Field B ( or vice versa). I tried this both ways; fields D and B are on both layouts. Running the debugger shows an "(102) Field is missing" error in both cases.

Set Field by Name requires a literal text (or variable which contains literal text)(or calculation resolving to literal text) describing the target field's name. IOW, the script step should be

Set Field by Name("Table1::B"; Table2:)

It is typically used where you need to calculate the field name, not for setting a field whose name you know.

The way your script is written, FM is looking for a field named "" (which is the content of Table1::B) to set, which, of course doesn't exist.

The main problem is that you're using the wrong command entirely. Your thread title refers to the use of Set Field. You didn't PICK Set Field, you picked Set Field By Name.

Set Field By Name is a wonderful power tool but it's for doing something more complicated than what you're trying to do.

a) Delete the Set Field By Name and replace it with Set Field

b) Now set it up just as you attempted to set up Set Field By Name:

Set Field [TABLE 1::B; TABLE 2::D]

If you'd picked the correct command, your usage would have been correct all along.

Important Information

Terms of Use