Question

I have a layout that consists of a portal. The page size limits the number of lines displayed to 48 (because type size smaller than 9 point is too hard to read).

Question: Is it possible to have a portal "spill" to a second page. In other words, if I need to print a report that includes 55 records, can I have one page of 48 records, and a second page of 7 records?

2 answers to this question

Generally speaking, you don't print a screen that has a portal.

Instead, you go to the related records that normally show in the portal, using a new layout you create that replicates the non-portal information in the header (or in the footer where appropriate) and uses a list view for the portal records.

That allows you to print anywhere from 1 to several hundred billion "portal records" out, using as many pages as it takes.

If you only want the non-portal info to appear on the first page (and not be repeated on each subsequent page) you use a Title Header instead of Header. Likewise, if you want trailing information that would print "below" the portal to only appear on the last page, you use a Trailing Grand Summary.

I just wanted to add a few extra points on top of what Hunter said about printing portals.Portals were not designed to be printed. They don't slide in all scenarios and don't page break gracefully. If you wants totals, you'll need use a summary field rather than a calculation with an aggregate function.