whowland

How do I autoenter from indexed values?

I review medical records and often have the same name to enter in a provider field. I used to be able to set up that field to autoenter from previously used values in that field and now I can't make that work for love or money. Any help here?

In layout mode, open inspector to the 4th tab, check the box...

Auto complete using existing values.

If you want to Insert from Index, it's in the menu or right click on Windows opens a small window.

If the option is dimmed out then verify the field is a text field, it is indexed and doesn't have a value list attached that has the second choice column selected.

>

In layout mode, open inspector to the 4th tab, check the box...

Auto complete using existing values.

If you want to Insert from Index, it's in the menu or right click on Windows opens a small window.

>

This makes no sense to me. There is no "4th tab" in Layout as I see it. I'm looking for that "Autocomplete using existing values," because I used to use it all the time. But it's hiding...

>

If the option is dimmed out then verify the field is a text field, it is indexed and doesn't have a value list attached that has the second choice column selected.

>

I see a dropdown there for "Manage DB" (there is also "File>Manage" which takes you to the same place)

and under that I see that my fieldname is Indexed.

Double-clicking on that fieldname, I get:

"Options for field ."

Auto enter:

[] Creation (date, date/time, timestamp, name, or account name)

[] Modification (same choices)

[] Serial number

[] Value from last visited record

[] Data (empty box; if I enter "autocomplete using existing values" in it, what do you think shows up in the field when I open a new record? You're right: "autocomplete using existing values")

[] Calculated value

[] Looked-up value (which asks me what data from another table based on the relationships defined between these tables)

None of this is helpful.

Where the heck is that "Autocomplete using existing values" tab??? What am I missing?

"If you open the Inspector first then it will make sense."

OK, I finally found where they hid the teeny little i icon, after hitting "edit layout" button on the far right above the Browse view.

There I found Field>Control Style>Edit Box>Autocomplete. Thankfully, that works. No particular reason they had to hide it so well, though.

So for the next person searching this, the path to success is:

Browse > Edit Layout > i (inspector) > Field > Control Style > Edit Box > Autocomplete

Yeah, the Inspector is an annoying little brat of a feature. I miss FileMaker 10 and the pre-Inspector world.

"Yeah, the Inspector is an annoying little brat of a feature. I miss FileMaker 10 and the pre-Inspector world."

Yeah, see, that's my problem. I've been using FM since v. 4, and stopped updating it at 12 because I don't really need more features for what I use it for. And now I have to keep a notebook or separate file for all the BS little changes. It was bad enough when they screwed up Pages.

Thanks.