The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum

nextgen

I have a table which has too many fields which contains various aspects of the product.

Since the database is hosted in filemaker server and accessed via internet, I think it will cause unnecessary load since I think the whole record is downloaded even if I need just a couple of fileds in certain layout.

I think it will be better to split the tables into multiple tables with relevant data. This will cause one to one relationship. Is it good or bad?

If it's good to do that then is there anyway I can automatically create record in other related table whenever the record is added in the original table?

AHunter3
I have a table which has too many fields which contains various aspects of the product.

Since the database is hosted in filemaker server and accessed via internet, I think it will cause unnecessary load since I think the whole record is downloaded even if I need just a couple of fileds in certain layout.

I think it will be better to split the tables into multiple tables with relevant data. This will cause one to one relationship. Is it good or bad?

Bad. Don't do it. If it has too many fields, it may be that some types of information should be in a related table, but when that is the case it would not be a one to one relationship.

AHunter3

PS, how many fields does your table have now?

Maarten Witberg
Don't do it.

Respectfully disagree. If you have made sure your table does indeed require all the fields (trigger warnings might be: you have contact1.... contact2.... contact3.... etc. fields, that is bad design).

But if the field count is rightfully high then a well designed split using one-to-one can boost performance. So split off frequently updating fields from semi-permanent content. Split of large text fields. It all results in less data traffic between client and server. It's called the "narrow" approach to table design. You might also like it because it keeps field lists short - but you need to manage more tables, so striking a balance is key.

That said I know of a database that has way too many fields in several tables that nevertheless still performs fine at today's bandwidths. There is much to be gained by keeping found sets small. If you have a large found set (say through a portal) and the related table has a lot of fields, you can expect a performance hit.

I also know of a quick and dirty database that for speed of development (half a day for a monthly planner for ten employees ;-) ) made extensive use of repeating fields in a large layout with a large found set with many fields.... in portals. It's running into trouble and I can't wait to roll out its better self. Not going to split that one up. Just make the design better.

If it's good to do that then is there anyway I can automatically create record in other related table whenever the record is added in the original table?

yes, just check "allow automatic creation of records in this table" in the TO graph and you're good to go. Typing in the field will create the record.

Edited by Maarten Witberg

Ender

I'm with Maarten on this one. Although I'm lazy about doing this myself, this comes up as a recommendation at DevCon.

nextgen

Good suggestions and thank you for the clarification. Gave me good direction to follow.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.