The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
Petefeath

Automatically select a specific field based on Dropdown List value

Petefeath

Hello, I have a dropdown list and I want to be able to jump to a particular field based on the value chosen in the dropdown list. for example say I have 2 values in the dropdown list, "Tax" and "Product"

If I choose Tax I want to automatically jump to the field named "GST" If I chose Product I want it automatically jump to the field named "Subtotal" Etc.

Can anyone tell me how I would do this? I am a novice user using Filemaker Pro V14.

Thank you in advance.:confused:

doughemi

1. Create a script named Choice:

If[YourChooserField = "Tax"]
  Go to Field [YourTable::GST]
End if
If[YourChooserField = "Product"]
  Go to Field [YourTable::Subtotal]
End if

2. In Layout mode, select YourChooserField and choose Format->Set Script Triggers...->OnObjectModify and then enter the Choice script.

Petefeath

Thank you for your help but now I am having trouble creating the script. I have attached a screenshot of the problem I am having. My ChooserField is called "Invoices::Subtotal 1" and my go to field is actually called "Invoices::GST Amount 1" I get an error message as you'll see in the screenshot. Scrip screenshot.jpg

cchumi

Hi here you got a basic coding knowledge issue.

The if statement need a condition to test if it's true then between your if and your end if you execute the code.

So in your case you put the if condition and the execution code in the if. It can't work like that.

Read carefully explanation of doughemi.

Petefeath

Hey thanks cchumi and doughemi, I now have the script running as I want it to, when I choose different values from my drop down list the appropriate field becomes active but now the values I choose from my drop down list no longer display. Any ideas? Thank you.

Petefeath

Problem solved regarding non display of dropdown list value. Changed the format of the field to "As Entered" in the Data tab in the Inspector. It was set to currency. Thanks all for the help.

cchumi

You mean your select list is empty after selection is made ? Strange. On which trigger you put your script.

You can surely force it by adding a set field step.