Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Which version for Windows 7, Windows 10 Home, and Vista

psnestle

I am currently using FM Pro 6. We have purchased a new computer with Windows 10 Home. I haven't tried FM Pro 6 on this new computer, as I'm anticipating the need to upgrade. However, I also need the new version to work on Windows Vista and Windows 7. Any suggestions on what version(s) will work on all 3 of these systems?

Thank you very much, in advance, for your suggestions.

If you are going to upgrade, you will automatically get version 15. First off, it is not possible to directly upgrade from 6 to 15. You need to use an intermediate version, say version 11. See the following kowledge base article:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10687/~/filemaker-conversion-path-for-all-versions

If you do not own a copy of version 11 you might be able to obtain a trial version from FMI (can't be licensed) or a local developer may be willing to do the job for a small fee.

Here are the current system requirements. Windows Vista is out I'm afraid: https://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro/pro-15-specifications.html

However version 6 was released in 2002. So a lot has happened since then. Depending on the complexity of your database it might be a good idea to consider a complete rebuild.

Thank you for your reply. The Vista OS isn't as critical as the Windows 7 and 10 Home. I don't see "Home" listed under the System Requirements for version 15. I mention only because I have found other things that aren't the same between Windows 10 and Windows 10 Home.

Thanks again.

• 3 years later...

I don't know if it is going to work on older versions but you should try, anyway if it is not working you need to update Windows operating system to a newer version in order to make it work. Personally I started to use FileMaker when I was working on my mac. Due to my new job where everybody are used to use Windows and not Mac OS, it is hard to conform to them because there are some programs that are not supported by Mac. So I bought a PC on Windows and FM is working perfectly ( I am using Win10), moreover I found completely free driver updaters and I'm lucky not to spend money for the majority of the softs.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.