Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Data from various fields from multiple portals in multiple tables, in a single portal

Jean-Louis

I'm using filemaker as an electronic medical record.

Patient treatment details entered into various tables - prior treatment, surgery, chemo, radiation, supportive care.

This gets confusing as sometimes various treatments in different hospitals / centres at different times.

WOuld like to have a way to look at it in chronological order at one go - hence i need to get data from various tables into a single portal so that it can be ordered chronologically

Chances are at least 75% that the use of different tables in this case is a bad design flaw that you should fix.

Are you saying you have a table of "prior treatment" and a separate table of "surgery" and a separate table of "chemo" and so on?

You should have a Treatment table. Or a Procedure table. Descriptive fields like "Type" and "Hospital ID" should handle what and where; "Date" should handle when and, therefore, whether it is "prior" or not.

Chronological order is then just a matter of sorting by date.

Jean-Louis, there are so many approaches to accomplish this task, I believe that as Ahunter suggested your data is "medically" speaking absolutely correct, BUT in terms of data structure can be improved in many ways, to start, I suggest that if you cannot modify the tables, relationships, fields etc, try SQL its the "simplest" way in terms of time but the one with most challenges if your are not an experienced programmer, if not, although need a little more time you can gather the info in "temporary intermediate tables" (using uuids). If you have the time, patience and knowledge try to follow Ahunter recommendation, or plan a meeting with someone that doesn´t know your solution, explain the requirements to him/her and wait for the proposed structure and try to modify your solution, I had a similar challenge with 7 doctors who developed every one his own FM solution and tried to consolidate into one solution without fortune, we had to start from scratch and ended with 18 tables from the 96 original proposed by the MDs, good luck

Hi. I started to re-organize, but I'm having a major problem moving existing data from current records to a new 'treatment' table.

any suggestions on that? have over 1000 patient records at present - so doing it manually is going to be big ask

My approach to this is to create a filed named ID_uuid (with auto enter get(uuid) )in all the tables and fill with get(uuid) and NEW TABLES with ReOrganized names and create NEW CALCULATED fields in the OLD tables avoiding to change old field names : ej FirstnamePatient will become just Name1 in the New table, so in the old table I create a new field Name1 calculated = PatientFirstname and import with Matching names, its a big job but it really worth it, in that way you can reimport any time and the most important REIMPORT (beacuse of the uuid)

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.