Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

How do I get my database to check my alphabet checkboxes based on a barcode?

sinkerj

I am developing a database in filemaker pro 13 to utilize in my classroom to help with the exorbitant amount of data that I must keep on each child. I have been able to figure out, on my own, most of the things i want to do, but this. My layout has 78 checkbox fields which represent one checkbox for each capital letter one checkbox for each lowercase letter and one checkbox for each sound. This is how the they are named Capital letter = "A" lowercase letter = "a1" and Letter sound = "a sound". There are three different fields for each letter. field has only one value "yes" meaning the box is checked. The records are associated to children in my classroom. So when I look at a record the child's name is at the top and several tabs that store data on that child. So when I see the child's record I can tell how many letters they know by the visual of checkboxes field. I also use these fields to calculate the number of letters they know. It seemed so easy when I thought "oh yeah scan a barcode and bang the checkbox on that layout tab would fill in"

So how do I enter a number in a field(barcode) have it look through each fieldname and find the one that is the same. Then check that box to say the child knows that letter.

Let's see if I understand correctly what you're trying to do. You hold in your hands a scannable barcode for (let's say for example) "e sound". The student for which you want to enter this is Julie Jones.

Since you did not mention having bar codes for each student, I assume that at this point you would do a manual find to bring up Julie Jones' record, yes?

I would create a global text field. This is the field into which you will scan the barcode value.

Then I would write a script that examines the contents of that field and based on what field name is in it, would edit the corresponding field in your database.

This is how the they are named Capital letter = "A" lowercase letter = "a1" and Letter sound = "a sound"

So if i opened field defintions to look at your field names, I would see fields like these?

A

a1

a sound

B

b1

b sound

C

c1

c sound

?

Anyway, now you have a global field, let's call it g.ScanCode, and in it you have a character string put there by the barcode scanner + the barcode that you scanned.

Depending on the settings on your barcode scanner, it may also now contain a hard return. (That seems to be the default; I like to change it to an Enter key instead ⌅ )

If you don't feel like reprogramming your barcode scanner to eliminate the hard return, you can eliminate it in the first step of your script:

Set Field [YourTable::g.ScanCode; Substitute (YourTable::g.ScanCode; "¶"; "") ]

Then you use Set Field by Name to tag the corresponding field. I don't know what value you want to go into each field: Y? Yes? √? X? the current date? the current timestamp? Whatever it is, you utilize it as the calculated value to set the field TO, and in this example I will use "Y" —

Set Field By Name ["YourTable::" & YourTable::g.ScanCode; "Y" ]

In other words, if g.ScanCode contains "e sound", the script will now put a "Y" in the field e sound.

Obviously you don't use "YourTable" but you instead use the actual name of your table.

-----------

My layout has 78 checkbox fields which represent one checkbox for each capital letter one checkbox for each lowercase letter and one checkbox for each sound

I would not have done that, by the way. I would have created a related table, in which there was a CAPITAL field, a lowercase field and a sound field, plus a LetterName field and a Student ID field. Then I would have 26 records with five field values each. Or else maybe I would have created just four fields — Student ID, LetterName, Type, and CheckboxField, and generated 78 records. Then a given record would have "E" for the LetterName, "lowercase" for the Type, and a field to contain (or not contain) a "Y", and a Student ID teling me it is Julie Jones' record.

AHunter3 ,

Thank you so much for responding. You are correct. That is exactly what I want to do. I have 4 other layouts: I have one for words, numbers, shapes and colors that I eventually want to do the same thing to. This is an old database that I made about ten years ago that I still use. I decided to update it with the new fun stuff including adding bar-codes.

I decided to play with tab controls so the parent record holds the child's name and id. On each record I can click on a tab for things such as address, interim's, testing(this has a second tab control that has tabs for alphabet, words, colors and shapes.

Screen+Shot+2016-07-31+at+2.21.21+PM.png

Screen+Shot+2016-07-31+at+11.16.52+AM.png

I chose to use the 78 fields because that is how the original database was. I was then able to use those same fields to calculate the number of letters that each child knew.

I will definitely try your suggestions.

Thanks

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.