Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Searching for arbitrary set of records

CJ Finn

I have a problem to solve. On a regular basis I need to ensure that my database matches data found in multiple discrete databases that are maintained by third parties. There is no direct connection between my database and the others. Essentially I am checking to ensure that these third parties have all of the assets I have on my books and that I have all of the assets that they are maintaining for me. I also need to ensure status is the same across all of the data.

I do this by exporting my data (ID and status) to a spreadsheet where I compare this with similar data from the third parties. Using VLOOKUP, I match the records, note which ones are not present in either database, and update status where needed. This takes many hours to do. Any recommendations on how one might do this more efficiently would be welcome.

For the moment, it would be helpful to be able to conduct a search in FM for an arbitrary set of records using record serial numbers. I believe that this is doable with multiple find requests, but a few hundred find requests seems top be a bit excessive. To be a bit more concise, I would like to conduct an 'OR' find using 100 strings in a single field. Any tips?

Thanks,

CJ

• You could run a looping script that performs each find request as a separate find, records the foundcount, goes on to the next, instead of doing a single find for all the values

• You could populate a global text field with all the serial numbers, hard-return delimited, then set up a relationship from the global field to the serial number field. Either count related records or go to them and there's your found set

• You could assemble the multiple-request find in a script. There's nothing wrong with 100 find requests, really, and if you assemble them in a script you won't get the annoying "are you sure you want to enter yet another find request?" popup dialog.

Thank you very much for the confirmation. I think I will create a global field and a pop-up window to facilitate data entry and try that. I'll play with relationships and loops to see what works best.

Cheers,

CJ

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.