Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Button that shows up on a layout conditionally but not because it is hidden

Brogan6

I have designed a pos system based on the Invoice starter solution. I have designed buttons for the invoice layout that are on panels that add the product to the invoice data. Each button runs on a single script that pulls the parameter from the button setup based on the product's primary key. It all works perfect. Is there a way to "auto" create a button on the layout that a user could do by checking a "show button on layout" option within the product detail (table) itself. I am not talking about hiding and unhiding the button, but actual creation of a button object based on the condition in the details of the product table. So, while in the product details table, if I clicked on the check box for "show button on layout" a button with the label of the product would show on the Invoice layout with the appropriate scripting in place and the appropriate parameter for that individual product in place. Thanks in advance

You can't modify a layout from browse mode. Neither can you create scripts there.

You might be able to attach a button action to a field, along with a generic script which would branch based on a script parameter that is attached to the perform script command of the button. The field contents (button label) could be set by another script, which would also hide/unhide the button/field. The field could be stacked on top of a graphic of a blank button if your other buttons are customized.

There is no direct scripted support for making a button or, indeed, doing anything whatsoever in layout mode. Therefore if a button is to ever exist, it must always exist, and you're going to need to subsist on one of the multiple different ways of making a button appear and disappear under conditions of your own choosing.

I like this approach, an oldie but goodie that predates conditional formatting. (In conditional formatting the button can be hidden from view and yet still exists to be clicked on—if only by accident—meaning that you have to have your script handle clicks under conditions where the button isn't supposed to "exist"; whereas for this approach, the classic "hidden portal trick", the button is totally inaccessible not just invisible).

Edited by AHunter3

You can't modify a layout from browse mode. Neither can you create scripts there./QUOTE]

I thought that would be the answer. Thank you for the response!

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.