Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Graveyard for Used & Now Useless Calculations

Feirefiz

I was wondering what you all do in this situation: You write a calculation to solve an immediate problem, say, to clean up a field's contents. When you're done, you don't need the calculation (and the calculation field) anymore. Do you:

A) Delete it

B) Move it to a resources DB so that if you should someday need something similar, you won't have to write it all over again

C) Move it to a similar corner of the DB for which you wrote it

D) Just keep it where you made it

E) Keep the text of the calculation in some non-FM file

F) Something else: ________________

?

By "write a calculation" you mean a calculation field, yes?

Yeah, I have had several tertiary databases that had some of those still floating around in them. In a large table deleting a field is no fun at all. I try not to create them in the first place but sometimes there's been an immediate need and it was the quickest route to a solution.

EDIT: but not simply to clean up some other field's contents. If I need to test THAT, I export a representive cluster of recs to a FileMaker format export file, open THAT, create the test calc THERE, verify that yeah it does what I intended it to, then go back to the production database and do a script or a Replace Field Contents to clean up the original field's contents.

I do mean a calculation field, but with emphasis on the calculation in the field being that which might be useful for something in the future.

I guess this question could as easily be expanded to anything added to the DB to solve an immediate problem that theoretically won't be needed in the future in the said DB, like scripts.

I keep a file on my Desktop called Worksheet. When I want to test an idea I often implement it there, where tables have 3-20 records. I have script snippets that illustrate techniques I think I may come back to use again. Calculations are usually in the formula side of a Set Field statement. I have layouts chock-full of conditional formatted objects and weird subsummary reports and simple portals. Got custom functions pasted in, privilege sets in Security with odd custom access privs, cute tricks with dropdown value lists interacting with scripts, that sort of thing. Meanwhile I also have copies or clones of the major database environments I've worked on over the years so if I want to refresh how I did "x" for CompanyY back when, it's usually there.

Browser has a long folder-full of bookmarks to posts on this site where good tips & advice live. Used to have more but the index of thread IDs got mangled a couple years back.

Having one extra file is an idea. When I want to test something, I normally make a copy of the DB & name it "test blah blah blah", but making that (plus the number of records) probably takes more time that having a trimmed file.

Didn't occur to me to bookmark these posts; I have a file with links to a bunch of meaty ones sorted by category. If you still have the old bookmarks & if they have the thread name somewhere, maybe I can find the matching posts, if you want.

I just posted in that thread about repeating fields with a saved link to a rant I made awhile back :)

Unfortunately, regarding the ones I could never find again after the thread IDs got changed, a lot of them were links of this sort: /showthread.php?t=27266 rather than the later form that contains the thread title itself in the URL, like showthread.php/11541-Save-Send-Records-as-Excel-PDF-but-Not-Word

I have the names that I myself gave the (missing) links but they don't correspond to the thread title so much as the reason I saved the link itself.

The ones without the thread names are the hard ones, indeed. I never found those in the "Best of Filemakertoday" thread (fixed links here). But the others are doable, like showthread.php/11541-Save-Send-Records-as-Excel-PDF-but-Not-Word.

Important Information

Terms of Use