Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Nested Case / If statements

RustyT

Hi

I'm hoping someone might review a calculation for me. I was having great trouble getting a nested case / if statement to work. It did eventually come to me as I was writing this post but I'm thinking there is probably a more elegant way of writing it.

The situation is this.

• I have an id_dealtype field
  • I have five other fields leasePerAnnum, purchasePrice, rentalValue, leaseStartDate and term
  • If the dealtype = 1 AND four of the five fields are empty leasePerAnnum, rentalValue, leaseStartDate and term, then I want to display the message "Please complete all relevant fields for an accurate profit figure"
  • OR if the dealtype = 5 AND a different four of the five fields are empty purchasePrice, rentalValue, leaseStartDate and term, then I want to display the same message
  • otherwise if neither if these criteria are met, no message will be displayed.

The resulting calculation is this - which appears to work.

Case(

(id_DealType = 1 and Evaluate (IsEmpty(leasePerAnnum) or IsEmpty(rentalValue) or IsEmpty(leaseStartDate) or IsEmpty(term))) or (id_DealType = 5 and Evaluate (IsEmpty(purchasePrice) or IsEmpty(rentalValue) or IsEmpty(leaseStartDate) or IsEmpty(term))) ;"Please complete all relevant fields for an accurate profit figure";

"")

Is there a better way of writing this?

Many thanks in advance.

Russell

I'm not at all clear on what you mean by "four of the five fields are empty" followed by a list of four (not five) fields, but I am guessing that you either mean none of the remaining four fields can be empty or else you mean that at least one of the remaining four fields must have a value. (??) Also unclear on what you mean by "a different four of the five fields" followed by the exact same listing of four (not five) fields.

But here's a more elegant way of assessing whether any, or all, of a bunch of fields are empty:

Let ([

lpa= Left ("x"; length (leasePerAnnum));

ppr=Left ("x"; length (purchasePrice));

rtv=Left ("x"; length (rentalValue));

lsd=Left ("x"; length (leaseStartDate));

trm=Left ("x"; length (trm))

];

Case (

id_DealType = 1 and length (lpa & ppr & rtv & lsd & trm)

id_DealType = 1 and length (lpa & ppr & rtv & lsd & trm)>0; "I see you filled out at least one field, good for you";

id_DealType = 1 and length (lpa & ppr & rtv & lsd & trm)=3; "I see you filled out exactly three fields; please fill out a fourth field";

id_DealType = 1 and lengh (lpa & ppr & rtv & lsd & trm)=0; "You didn't fill out any of the fields"

)

)

Important Information

Terms of Use