The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
larrycfc

Summing prior year sales

larrycfc

I got a slick answer to summing current year sales:

http://www.filemakertoday.com/com/showthread.php/32822-Help-with-calculated-field

But now as the year turns I want to do the same for last year. I tried duplicating the field and changing

If ( Year ( INV DATE=Marketing::Current Year )

to

If ( Year ( INV DATE=2015 )

but that doesn't work, so I must be missing a step.

Techphan

Create a global field in the same table called gYear (Numeric). I also often create an InvoiceYear calculated field = Year(InvoiceDate). Place gYear in the header of a layout, attach a drop-down set of years (to "find") to it, and then run a script by 1) button **or** 2) script trigger OnObjectModify of the field gYear.

The essential script steps:

**Do script steps here (optional)**

Enter Find Mode[]

Set Field [invoice::InvoiceYear ; Invoice::gYear]

Perform Find[]

Alternate script without creating an Invoice::InvoiceYear field

Enter Find Mode[]

Set Field [invoice::Date ; Date (1;1;Invoice::gYear) & "..." & Date(12;31;Invoice::gYear)]

Perform Find[]

Edit: And you will need (and probably already have) a Summary field based on the Invoice::Amount field to total the invoices.

Edited by Techphan
Clarification

larrycfc

Just getting back to this. Thanks for the response, but I don't want to do this through a script. What I have is a layout that includes, along with client demographic info, a summary of sales activity. In a row across the bottom are boxes showing sales totals for 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 etc. In the older fm5 version, the totals were exported from a separate transactions file and imported into this one. Now that they are different tables within the same file, I'd rather have the summaries read directly from the table. I figured I could restrict the summaries by Year of InvoiceDate.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.