The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum

larrycfc

I've pretty much finished converting a customer DB from FM5 to FM7. The old file had a couple of external related files and several repeating fields - all of which have been converted to tables in the new file. In the old DB, I would periodically find inactive records, and import them into a cloned archive DB. I did the same with the 2 related files. But now that everything is together, I don't know how to archive all the tables at once. Can this be done? The DB is in great need of streamlining.

AHunter3

You don't do them "all at once", you do each table in turn just as you would have done each file at a time under FM5.

If you do it at all. How many millions of records do you accumulate each year?

larrycfc

So it appears that doing so would be much more cumbersome than previously, since now there are 10 tables due to the elimination of repeating fields. It's not that the volume of records is so huge, it's just that they get in the way in some of the typical searches. I have checkbox field called archive, which I would check on maybe a dozen records per month, if I didn't expect any further contact. But just in case, I would import them into an archive database rather than deleting them. The primary function of the database is a contact manager, used to schedule followup. It sounds like a better strategy would be to modify scripts to omit records where Archive is checked. But it is surprising to find the old process so much more difficult in a more sophisticated program.

AHunter3

Even back in the FileMaker 3 days my strategy was to never delete records unless they were mistakes. It's always easier in the long run to design around record permanence and to mark records as obsolete where appropriate, in my opinion.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.