riannag

I inherited FIlemaker Pro 7 at work and am having a difficult time, as this is my first time using it.

Client payments are entered as a record. For tax reasons, I must generate an annual report for each client of their income including tax, their income minus tax, the commission my boss makes off of their payment, and the tax on my boss' commission. I've successfully created the calculations for each record. However, when I view it in list form, sorted by Client, it shows each of these fields separated by the date and project of the individual payment. I need an annual tally of each of these fields, not sorted by date or project the payments were for. For example.

For example it appears as:

Client 1 Project 1 Jan 10th, 2014

Gross with tax : $1300

Gross net tax: $1000

Commission: $150

Tax on commission: $19.50

Client 1 Project 2 June 15, 2014

Gross with tax : $1300

Gross net tax: $1000

Commission: $150

Tax on commission: $19.50

I need a total annual income statement for each client, regardless of date of payment or project paid on. Help!

eos

For each data field you want to summarize (calculation or otherwise) you need – unsurprisingly enough – a summary field. (There are other approaches, but we're talking about records in List view …)

If your found set (the records you see at a given point; e.g. after a Find) comprises multiple clients (e.g. after searching for 2014 only), you also need a sub-summary part (by clients), put these fields into that sub-summary part, and sort by client

If it has records of a single client within a year only (e.g. after searching all records for client Smith in 2014), you don't need to sort, and don't need the sub-summary part; put the summary fields into header, footer, grand total instead … everywhere but the body part

I inherited FIlemaker Pro 7 at work and am having a difficult time, as this is my first time using it. […] Help!

Then I think it is your employer's duty to pay for training material / a tutor / yoga hours / whatever it takes to get you up to speed, or have a pro develop a real database application that (as far as possible) guides you through such tasks.

Having my untrained employees relying on the kindness of strangers in an anonymous forum to be able to perform vital operations (those whose results are supposed to make your clients happy and bring in $$) is not the best business plan I've ever heard of.

Edited by eos

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.