Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Run multiple versions of FM

Feirefiz

Working with FMP 8, I'm starting to miss FMP 12 and the ability to look things up I've made there. Currently I'm borrowing a MacMini with OS 10.6 and FMP 8 and have it plugged into my monitor instead of my MacMini with OS 10.8 and FMPAdv 12. I'm open to Parallels to run everything on my computer, but with the expected time the setup will take, I don't exactly want to do that today. Has anyone tried screen sharing with FMP? Is it decently usable? Any other ideas?

I run Mac Mini's headless all the time - most of the FMServers I run, are headless Minis. They boot (and reboot) perfectly without a monitor, keyboard or mouse.

Works better in fact, as the remote desktop then can define the resolution, and you are not limited by the video pixel count on the server end. Frustrating to be attached to a 1024x768 mini remotely, when you're on a 2560x1440 display on the remote end :-)

kirkrr, yes, my problem was probably that without the monitor, I couldn't tell why I wasn't able to connect to the remote Mini; I had to loosen up the permissions from that Mini's end. But I assumed it hadn't booted the normal way since when I turned it off by the power button, it turned off immediately as it would in Target Disk Mode. I then attached it to an ancient monitor, which had the advantage for FMP that the screen was small; I then knew about how big the window size should be for the solution for my colleague who has the old-fasioned monitor format. Thanks for the info.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.