Candace

Running fp7 on os 10.9.5

Candace

I created and installed a database using fp7 on my old macbook and on an even older mac mini which I donated to the school where I teach. I now have a new mac air with os 10.9.5 which will no longer support the old version of the database on fp7, but if I upgrade fp on my own computer the file will no long be compatible with the mac mini at the school and they can't afford to buy a new computer. Is there any way I can run the database created on fp7 on my computer so that the 2 versions can be compatible. (I hope this is clear!)

Thanks in advance!

AHunter3

Well, you can buy either Parallels or VMWare, install MacOS 10.7 on it as a virtual machine, and run FileMaker Pro 10 or 11 on it there.

Or you might be able to run the Windows version of FileMaker 10 or 11 under Wineskin or Crossover, if you can't afford VMWare or Parallels.

eos

FM 11 should run on OS X 10.9.

vdubeau

I have a client that runs a database using FM 8.5 on Windows. While I use Virtualbox to run a copy of Win 7 and FM 8.5 for testing, all of my development is on a Mac running Yosemite 10.10. Both FM 10 & 11 run without a hitch so they should run on 10.9

AHunter3

That's interesting; I, too, thought that 10.9 and 10.10 were not FmPro 11 compatible.

I use 10.6.8 (still!) as my primary OS and run the newer ones in VMs.

eos

Actually, I misspoke; not “it should be running”, but “I had and do have it running”, previously on OS X 10.9, and now on 10.10.

kirkrr

Talked to FM about it - the "not running on 10.8 or later" is a testing and validation issue, not necessarily a technical one. There may be technical issues, but FM has not confirmed or denied this.

kirkrr

Been running FM11 on OS X 10.8 in a VM, but based on this thread, tried running it on 10.10.

The one thing that immediately jumped out at me, is the scroll wheel on the mouse does not work in almost every window and in none of the dialog boxes. You also cannot click on the scroll bar to jump through the list. The only option is to drag the scroll bar location indicator up and down to move through the list items. Not worth the pain...... back to Parallels

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.