The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
filey

Months as Value list to track records by date

filey

Hi guys! I would like to call for help in my problem. I would like to search records via MONTH which I'm having a difficulty with. In my case, I like to create a value list that contains the name of the months either pop-up or dropdown and just search for the records within that month. I have done this http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5912/kw/find%20records%20in%20current%20month but I would like to make it more easy for me to search records instead of filling up the START_DATE & END_DATE. I have all the fields to begin with but I can't do the scripting for the Month(value list) function. Thanks for the help!

eos

You could create a table with the month names and numbers and use that to create value list; choose the month name, but insert the month number.

Problem is that when you use Show only second field, it will be sorted by that field – and an alphabetically sorted list of month names is not really useful.

Either don't check that setting, get a correct sort order and live with the additional display of the month number, or try another tack:

Create a value list with your month names, then in your script use

Set Variable [ $monthNumber ;

Let ( [
 ~l = List ( "January" ; "February"[i] ; [/i]"March" [i]{; etc. }[/i] ) ;
 ~f = YourTable::yourMonthNameField ;
 pos = Position ( ¶ & ~l ; ¶ & ~f ; 1 ; 1 )
 ] ;
 ValueCount ( Left ( ~l ; pos ) )
)

] // belongs to Set Variable[]; don't type this line … 

This gives you the month number, which you can now use to create your date range, e.g.

Enter Find Mode

Set Field [ YourTable::theDate ; Let ( y = Year ( Get ( CurrentDate ) ) ; Date ( $monthNumber ; 1 ; y ) & ".." & Date ( $monthNumber + 1 ; 0 ; y ) ) ]

Set Error Capture **

Perform Find

There's an easier syntax for searching all dates within a given month (or year), but I'll let you find that one for yourself … :D

** Since you've linked to (and read) the Knowledge Base article, I guess don't have to remind you about error trapping.

Note that the calculation above is a general approach to the problem “find index position of item y in list z”.

filey

Thanks eos! I'll try it and I'll get back to you as soon I have done it. To be honest I'm quite a noob at scripting :D. Either way thanks1!

filey

Oh yes! I forgot to mention that I have a field for date which is manually filled labeled as Date_Received. I can't seem to make the script work because I have left this information.

eos

Not sure what you mean … is that the field you want to search in?

In my code example, you would replace YourTable::theDate with that field.

filey

Yes I did that but sadly all it does is replace all the fields of Date_Received into range of numbers. :( I'm sorry if I can't explain it properly because I don't really know how to. :confusion:

eos

Your script probably does not include an Enter Find Mode step; Set Field[] would then overwrite the field contents in Browse mode, instead of putting in a search criterion in Find mode.

Assuming that you're doing this in a single table, make sure you

• create a text field, storage: global which you format with the month names value list

• write a script with the steps listed above, like:

If [ IsEmpty ( your [b]global text field[/b] ]
# open Specify Calculation dialog, write '[i]IsEmpty ( [/i]', select your field name from the list to add to the formula, close with ' [i])[/i]'; this line: a script Comment # line that you don't need to add
 Exit Script
End If
# this line: a script Comment # line that would normally be empty, used as visual separator between script sections; see below
Set Variable [ [b]$monthNumber[/b] ; [i]calculation from above, where [/i]YourTable::yourMonthNameField is your [b]global text field[/b] ]
# bold: specify as variable name; italic: put into Specify Calculation dialog; this line: a script Comment # line
Enter Find Mode
Set Field [ [b]Date_Received[/b] ; [i]Let ( y = Year ( Get ( CurrentDate ) ) ; Date ( $monthNumber ; 1 ; y ) & ".." & Date ( $monthNumber + 1 ; 0 ; y ) )[/i] //not the bracket =>]
# bold: select from field list; italic: put into Specify Calculation dialog; this line: a script Comment # line
Set Error Capture [ On ]
Perform Find
#
If [ [i]not Get ( FoundCount )[/i] ]
 Show Custom Dialog [ "Nothing Found" …etc.
End If

Please refer to the documentation (and/or e.g. the linked Knowledge Base article) if you need further assistance in writing a script, or referencing a field in a calculation or a script step.

Which is not to say you cannot ask here, but you need to do some homework, too … :D

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.