The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
Landy

Filter for FM8.5 Portal

Landy

Firstly, I'm an amateur when it comes to Filemaker, and I'm still using V8.5 having graduated from V3 after a decade using this version - why V3, simply because it allowed networking. Now you have to buy licences, etc. Wish I had a superannuation policy like this!

Anyway, I have written an high value Asset Register to link equipment we have brought, to where we have deployed them, what accessories are included, service history and the like. But I have reached a point that I'm stuck!

I start with a “Master File” which contains core information about who supplied the equipment, and where they are deployed, price paid, warranty term, etc.. This file has a portal which links via a “Lines Part” file to a “Parts File” which records all the serviceable parts (items with a serial number) that comprise the equipment.

In the “Master file” I want to list against a specific record of the purchase, only the goods and the serviceable parts that were supplied with the goods and which came from a particular supplier.

The problem is I cannot see how to filter the items from the “Parts File” into the portal so that only parts from supplier A with a serial number are shown as being deployed to site B.

The Parts file is like a big warehouse and we choose the parts we want from it to build up the equipment going to site B, but only using pats from supplier A.

Does this make sense, and has anyone suggestions as to filtering only what I want the portal to see?

eos

Could you please describe this in a more tabular form? Prose simply can't do justice to the beauty of relational data structures …

But I assume you now have

Master file ---- Parts File

May I suggest some IMO better names: Equipment ---- Components?

Naming tables for the entities they store makes things go more smoothly.

I think you need

Sites

|

^

Suppliers ---- Components >-- Suppliers (same table)

Not sure that you meant there is one supplier for the entire device, and one or more for its parts/components.

Not sure about Sites, either; maybe you just need a field in Equipment, as shown, but maybe a join table between Sites and Equipment, if Equipment changes sites (one Site – many Equipment(s), one Equipment – many Sites). Regardless …

Now you could e.g. filter a portal that displays a relationship from Equipment into Components by a specific supplier ID/name (referencing the Supplier TO that is connected to the portal – if you know what I mean …).

On a a side note: if you create a relationship like

Equipment::anyField x Suppliers_Cartesian::anyField (using the Cartesian x operator)

you can display a portal on Equipment that shows records from Suppliers_Cartesian – i.e. all suppliers – and use it as a selection list for the filtering of the Components portal.

Landy

I have tried your suggestions, but either I’m missing something, or I do not follow them.

Here is the arrangement we have:

(parts portal)

Address Book --- > Supplier(s) --- > Machine Lines Part Machine Parts History

^ ^

| |

Incidents Service Data

The basic records are: supplier, article n/mbr, s/nmbr, item, date purchased, date installed, where installed, warranty, price paid.

Can I send you the files?

eos

From my side, you certainly may, but I'm not sure if you can, i.e. are allowed to here.But first, please answer/confirm the following questions/statements:

1. You want a portal that shows parts to be filtered by supplier.

2. Is this supposed to happen from a neutral context, or within the context of a Machine record (aka Master File, as in your original post)?

3. If it's from a Machines context, then this requirement is meaningless, because according to your description and schema, suppliers supply machines, not parts; and since each part belongs to a machine, it has by definition the same supplier as the machine.

4. If it's from a neutral context (e.g. a dashboard style of table/layout), then IMO you need a relationship like

Dashboard (specify one or more supplierIDs) --

so that a portal into the Parts TO only shows parts from the specified supplier(s).

5. If each part is supposed have its own supplier, then something's missing in your data model, or its description.

If I misunderstood your situation, then kindly explain again your setup and the requirement to the level of detail you can see here. (And if the terms goods and purchases are relevant in this setup, then please describe their function; they came a bit out of left field and are nowhere explained.)

Landy

The Master File (Machine) contains information on the prime piece of equipment. Let’s say it is a milling machine. This file contains a portal which shows the accessories (from Parts File) which are fitted to the Machine

The Parts File (Machine Parts) contains information on the add-ons or extras the prime equipment is custom fitted with. Lets say a digital readout and Gear-Driven Indexer System and ther is provision to add accessories in the future.

The Lines Part file is to act as a ‘buffer’ between the Master File and the Parts File

The firm that supplied the milling machine, will also supply the accessories., but not all milling machine will have the same accessories. BUT in the life time the accessories may be transferred between machines, or be replaced with a spare if the original needs repairs.

Every part including the milling machine has a Article number, a Part number and a Serial number, and a physical description. Also, information such as when the item was purchased, the monies paid, the warranty, order and invoice numbers and the like. Also where the Master Part is installed and where the spare parts or accessories (Parts File) are residing. These parts of the database I’m comfortable with and they are working OK.

In essence my problem is getting the portal in the Master Part file to filter the items in the Parts file so that only parts from the supplier in the Master file can be added (selected) to the portal.

If I can will attach a jpeg view of the relationship map.

eos
If I can will attach a jpeg view of the relationship map.

Please attach whatever you can to shed more light on your entities and their relationships. I still have problems understanding what goes where – which of course may be just me …

Landy

OK try this!Asset DB links.jpg

Edited by Landy

eos

Hey Landy,

this doesn't really clear it up for me, and I cannot match that Graph with your previous explanations (is the supplier that you want to filter on an attribute of Lines Parts, or of Parts Item? And what is (a) Principal doing in all these tables?). Think me dense …

… but you like, call me via Skype @ erolst64, and I think we'll have this sorted out in a jiffy (unless you want something impossible … that may take a wee bit longer).

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.