Tamarisk

fmp 7 upgrade for OSX mavericks

Tamarisk

I have been using fmp7 successfully on a macbook pro (intel) running OS 10.4.11 . I have got a new (2nd hand) macbook 2011 running mavericks and fmp7 is too old. My data bases are fairly simple, not needing anywhere near the full power of fmp7 never mind fmp13 - which I can't afford to buy anyway. Any suggestions for useful alternatives please?

Feirefiz

(1) Keep your old OS somewhere (partitioned HD / external HD / flash drive / emulator / your old computer, if it still works) and use FM 7 on that.

(2) See if you qualify for the non-profit version.

(3) Maybe a TechNet developer subscription would offer a cheaper alternative, but I'm not sure there.

(4) FM 12 runs on Mavericks, doesn't it? Maybe there's a cheap used / new copy somewhere, now that it's no longer the latest & best version.

My sympathies.

Tamarisk
(1) Keep your old OS somewhere (partitioned HD / external HD / flash drive / emulator / your old computer, if it still works) and use FM 7 on that.

Thank you, very helpful.

I had thought about using an external HD but it hadn't occurred to me that I could keep the old OS and fm7 on a flash drive but this could be a much less inconvenient option. Can you help me understand the details of how to work it -

Can I use a USB stick in the same way as an external HD for this? Can I then use the USB as a start up disc or how do I access it? Should I keep the data files on the USB or on the laptop?

Feirefiz

Here's Apple's guide, but there are other guides on the internet if you search for "how to install OS X on a flash drive" or similar. I haven't done it myself, though I will consider doing it for Mavericks if said OS should ever prove to be very important. There could be small differences between installing the various OS versions. But in the end you should have a bootable drive, just like any other HD. By default I'd probably store the FM files on the same drive as the application. As far as my limited knowledge goes, it probably wouldn't hurt to have the files on your laptop HD.* If you boot off the flash drive, then the laptop drive would (I assume) be like a connected external HD in relationship to the flash drive. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

*All the standard practices for avoiding file corruption should be followed.

Edited to Add: Oh, yeah, Apple's guide is for installing the OS to the flash drive from a computer running the same OS as you're installing. That should work in your case if you still have your old computer. Other guides can show how to install a different OS to a flash drive from the installer.

Edited by Feirefiz

AHunter3

I use Parallels.

I still use MacOS 10.6.8 as my everyday OS but I have Mavericks (10.9.2) as well as Lion (10.7) and Mountain Lion (10.8) on virtual machine partitions, not to mention Windows (7, XP, Server 2008, Server 2003, etc).

Feirefiz

Too bad Parallels – or the current version, anyway – doesn't support Mac OS 10.4 as a guest OS. Does Parallels require non-computer-specific OS installers for installing a guest OS?

Maarten Witberg

If you are using this standalone and do not do any development work, you could consider asking someone to convert this to v13 and then creating a runtime for it.

AHunter3
Too bad Parallels – or the current version, anyway – doesn't support Mac OS 10.4 as a guest OS. Does Parallels require non-computer-specific OS installers for installing a guest OS?

It's because of Apple licensing. Even 10.6 isn't easy to install as a guest OS. Prior to 10.7, Apple only allowed virtualization of their SERVER versions. Don't know why they didn't make it retroactive when they reconsidered beginning wtih 10.7. The other problem with 10.4 is that you'd need an installer for 10.4.10 or 10.4.11, I think? Not 10.4.0 which was PowerPC only. And you do indeed want non-computer-specific installers.

You CAN migrate an actual install on an actual Mac, though. Or at least I think you can. You can do that with Windows installs on actual PCs at any rate. An installed app created as virtual machine from the digital environment and then connects to Parallels on the host box and the constructed virtual machine gets transferred over. Hmm, I should investigate whether that technology works with a MacOS guestOS.

Feirefiz

Another Parallels question: Do the separate OSs work, practically speaking, exactly as they would with each OS installed on a separate machine? E.g. printer connections through each individual OS, no bugs due to Parallels? Anything else to watch out for?

Edited by Feirefiz
punctuation

AHunter3

I won't say no bugs but damn few of them.

I would not expect the virtual machine to use the video drivers quite as efficiently, hence if I were a gamer (I'm not) I would not install games on the virtual machines unless they were rather old games. Likewise for 3D realtime rendering engines (splines and all that stuff).

But mostly things just work. It's easy enough to forget that the VM environment isn't the native boot environment for the box.

Edited to add: right at the moment MacOS 10.9.3 and 10.10 are not working properly as guest machines (i.e., installed on the virtual machines). Fixes are forthcoming.

10.9.2 runs fine though.

Feirefiz

So you could use FileMaker and your standard office programs (and possibly even something more graphic intensive like InDesign) all day long on a guest machine without really noticing a difference. Thanks for the clarification.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.