The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
Hersh

"Set Variable" unavailable when creating/editing a script?

Hersh

Assuming I'm missing something blindingly obvious, but here goes:

I don't see "Set Variable" in the drop down in the Script Editor for FMP 6. Via Google, it appears that variables are available for scripting in FMP 6, but in the "Control" section of the list, I see "Allow User Abort" followed by "Set Error Capture" and no "Set Variable". It also does not show up when I view the commands by names in aphla order.

I am trying to write a script to detect records with the same values in two particular fields (to mark records where the first and last names are the same). But I don't think this is possible unless I can use variables (if anyone can suggest a script to do it without variables, I'm all ears).

Note that I am writing this with a remotely-hosted database--would that make any difference? Do I need special permissions (I have rights to edit and delete records)? Do I need to be the sole user using the database when trying to create a variable in a script?

Thanks in advance for help...much appreciated, especially as (as I said) I suspect I am missing something exceedingly obvious.

doughemi

Set Variable did not appear until FileMaker 8.

Hersh

Aha, that would explain it. So at least I was right about the blindingly obvious part. Thanks much for the reply.

Any hints on identifying duplicate records via a script (i.e., not just brute-forcing it via manually examining a table listing all the records)--other than upgrading to FMP 8 or higher? Thanks...

AHunter3

In the days before Set Variable, we generally relied on global fields for that kind of thing.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.