The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
pctechtv

Mandatory Values

pctechtv

What are the concepts to begin understanding to not ever let a field be empty or not one of you possible values you want? For instance:

• Cat or Dog for the purpose of what you are doing are all you need to receive as data

• You also never want it to be “”, NULL, FALSE, 0, or Empty (so something like 1 could do)

I have started understanding about Auto Enter but this is more of a Validation Issue correct? Does it need to be a Value List or can a calculation do the trick? I guess scripting could be this type of sentinel as well?

doughemi

You are correct; this is a validation issue. When you create or edit a field and click the Options button, you will see a dialog. Click the Validation tab.

snap.jpg

As you can see, there are a number of options available to perform validations. Your example has some overlapping requirements, but you could check the value list checkbox and choose a value list containing dog, cat, etc. Then, your second requirement would also be met, because only items in the value list would be allowable.

If you wanted to exclude certain inputs without defining allowable inputs, you would check the calculation checkbox and create a calc like

self ≠ "" and Evaluate(self) ≠ 0

There is no "null" in FileMaker, only isEmpty or "". The Evaluate function would take care of FALSE.

EDIT: I can't think of a case where the validation options couldn't handle it, and you'd have to resort to a script.

Edited by doughemi

kirkrr

Validation is a reactive course; auto-enter is a proactive one. If you validate a field, the user is now prompted (chastised) over failure to do something. If possible, you are better off automating user input, restricting input to a value list (instead of free form typing), etc.

That being said, there are situations where after the fact validation is indeed required, but may be best handled by a script that checks and potentially does some rules-based entry to correct deficiencies.

I don't see a problem with blank entries in many situations - invariably not every bit of data is needed for every record. If you want to check, you can also use a conditional script

If (IsEmpty (yourField) )

do whatever you need to do

End if

And this could be in a layout based script trigger, onLayoutExit, so it would check when leaving a screen, and could do it in bulk, with more user friendly feedback.

Important Information

Terms of Use