pctechtv

Progress Chart

pctechtv

I have a field in my database called progress. This field for now is a checkbox set that has the choices, “Un Started” “In Progress” and “Complete”. Eventually I want an elaborate way to start determining the progress of certain tasks. For now this is a start to understand the way I will construct it. Is there a way to construct a chart that would take (let’s say) 8 tasks and average there progress field and summarize it to show an average bar of where there over all progress is. So I mean on a scale of 0 – 100 with 0 being “Un Started” 50 being “in Progress” and 100 being “Complete”. I also would like to know if you would have to use a script to show the found set of 8 (8 is just a number of tasks or a particular job could be 5, or 11) or is there a way to only chart for related records.

kirkrr

You could have something as simple as a repeating field, say, for 100 repetitions. Based on the number, fill in that many reps with a character, like a vertical bar.

Now you have a horizontal bar of varying length, based on what you feed it.

pctechtv

I will be averaging Tasks, let’s say for a particular record I have 4 Task in progress and want the average of their progress. In another record I have 7 Tasks and I will average 7 to get the “progress” charted for the record. I can switch to radio buttons, I had setup my checkboxes so only on can be clicked, and if none are clicked it means “Un Started”. Eventually I want to have radio buttons that increment by ten and say 10%, 20%, 30%, or some other way but I want to average it for the X number of tasks for a given record. The X averaged will be the % of the records progress (hopefully charted). You asked the right question about percent complete, I will want the average of the percent complete for each records tasks.

If one record has 5 tasks

Task 1 = “Complete” (100%)

Task 2 = “Un Started” (0%)

Task 3 = “In Progress” (50%)

Task 4 = “Complete” (100%)

Task 5 = “In Progress” (50%)

Total = 300

Divided by 5 = 60% complete. The records tasks are 60% complete. So I am thinking I just need a calculation to get to 60% and then that is the only field that needs to be charted correct? Would these repeating fields be a better way to go then a chart?

kirkrr

Charts are fine, but the repeating field thingy is dirt simple. You can even use a single field, and write N number of vertical lines or other characters (>) into the field.

As far as radio buttons - once clicked, there is no way within the radio button control to unclick them all. You will need to set the field to blank with a script to get the buttons unclicked. Checkboxes, on the other hand - even though the metaphor is NOT mutually exclusive into like a radio button, can be forced to be mutually exclusive. An auto-enter calc like as follows, will force the checkbox to the last entry checked.

GetValue ( Self; ValueCount ( Self ) )

If you chose to use a radio button, there is a "bug" in FM, that does not force it to follow the mutually exclusive user interface rule for radio buttons; a shift-click will select more than one radio button!!! So the auto-enter formula above is useful for radio button fields as well.

You can also limit a check box set of say, 10 items, to only 3 checked - the last 3 - with this auto-enter calc.

Let ( vals = RightValues(Self, 3), Left(vals, Length(vals) - 1 ))

Note: these tips were learned from the http://www.sixfriedrice.com web site on Filemaker stuff.

• WE NEED YOUR DONATION NOW

WE have helped 100,000's of people for many years, now we need your help!!!! Your Donation is Needed to Keep Us Online! Covid 19 and isolation!!!! Without Your Help We Are Gone After 23  Years!

3% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Images

Important Information

Terms of Use