The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
kirkrr

FM on almost any device?

kirkrr

Anyone know anything about this announcement from World Cloud, some 8 months ago? (I'd call Joe - he is a great guy to talk to - and ask, but I don't have the time right now).

What is this, and what does it do?

Is this virtual client just MS Remote Desktop Protocol or is there more to it? The HTML5 reference "clouds" :-) the issue. HTML5 and RDP combined clients would (will?) be an interesting development, as performance should be greatly improved. I'm not finding VNC/HTML/OS X combos as yet, but there are a number of early RDP/HTML5/Windows combinations out there.

I would also guess - if I am reading this right - that the server requirements might be a bit hefty for this approach??

=========================

FileMaker on almost any device

July 11, 2012 ( 8 months )

Company: worldcloud.com

Web site: worldcloud.com

Latest News from worldcloud.com

Worldcloud offers both FileMaker Server AND FileMaker Pro from the cloud

Worldcloud, Inc. of Knoxville, TN is releasing a new virtual FileMaker Pro client for HTML5. This new service will allow any device capable of running a HTML5 Browser to have a full FileMaker Pro 12 experience (including plug-in support). This service will allow devices such as the following to enjoy FileMaker.

Legacy Macs & PCs G3/G4/G5 Macs, 486+ Windows sytems

Most tablet devices- Blackberry PlayBook, Microsoft Slate, Android and even iPad!

Android, Windows, & Blackberry smartphone devices

Sony, LG, GoogleTV, Boxee and other smart televisions or media players

Sony Playstation 3 or xBox 360

Linux systems

And many other devices, normally not supported directly by FileMaker, Inc.

These clients run faster than a traditional FileMaker Pro client, are more secure, and easier to maintain. If you are going to attend the annual Information about this service will be available at Worldcloud.com, info@worldcloud.com, or by calling 877-402-0670

Ross MacLane

Kirk...Google Worldcloud...that should answer your ANY DEVICE question...if not PM me

Josh Ormond

kirkrr, yes you got it. It is a virtualized client. It can be nice, since it removes the hardware and OS requirements from the user end. In some cases it's also nice because you can control and predict the cost a little better ( although not necessarily cheaper ). But the heavy lifting for installation and server setup can all be done by the host.

Only issues I concerned myself with the whole virtual desktop...

1. If you are in an area with sketchy internet service ( lot of drops and drops in service ), it's not the best idea. Since no internet = no access.
  2. I work much faster than a virtualized environment can often keep up.

With that said, in the right circumstances, it is an amazing option. Especially when you talk about access from non-desktop and non-apple devices...anywhere access...less of a need for super-powered hardware ( since the processors only need to render the image and not do all the calcs ).

Edited by Josh Ormond

kirkrr

I would suspect that HTML5 based VNC (or RDP in this case) clients would be far faster(??), but being really new to market, are they ready for prime time? If so, why are not the big VM players in that space yet? Lack of agility? or technical issues? Seems that all the HTML5/RDP stuff is coming from small companies, and no VNC/HTML5 combos yet.

I use ADP (VNC/OS X) all the time, and am on a screaming fast (25mb) connection on both ends, and it still lags. This makes me concerned about virtualized desktop performance, although the prospect of no longer programming around IWP limitations is enticing!

...... and in a related note: my IWP connections, especially with Chrome, seem to run at least 2-3x as fast as FM Remote, and is even more pronounced after upgrading both servers to SSD drives (now the drives I/O rate is faster than the SATA interface speed) to improve disk I/O.

Ross - I don't have PM access - the system says my mailbox is full (I have just a few messages .... 2 from you), so I can't send anything that way.

Josh Ormond
...... and in a related note: my IWP connections, especially with Chrome, seem to run at least 2-3x as fast as FM Remote, and is even more pronounced after upgrading both servers to SSD drives (now the drives I/O rate is faster than the SATA interface speed) to improve disk I/O.

Since IWP forces all the calcs to happen on the Server, the browser only needs to receive and display the results. So there can be some speed benefits there. If you do a significant amount, or will be, of development, or will be, I would highly suggest looking at Skeleton Key's online class regarding WAN development. There are so many things that you can do to reduce the impact on network traffic, and indirectly performance.

Mark, in that class, will actually take a file of yours...drop it on his server and walk you through some of the areas that could be causing excess network traffic. The class, when I took it, was limited to 4 people...so you get plenty of feedback and question time to get a full understanding of how certain things affect the transfer of data from the server to the client.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.