The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
Tom Goedhart

PDF Export error

Tom Goedhart

Hi all,

Over the last year i developped a filemaker database to manage our projects and invoices. The database runs great except for one thing; exporting pdfs. When i create an invoice, filemaker runs a script that creates a new folder with the customer name and project number. In this folder it wil have to export a pdf from the invoice. This folder is on the same server as where filemaker server hosts the database. Creating the folders is no problem only when it try's to export the pdf to that folder i get the following error:

“Untitled.pdf” could not be created on this disk. Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk.

At first i thought it had something to do with the permissions on the server so i tried to export in the desktopfolder from the client computer. But that still gives me the same error. I also thought it had something to do with the database being on a server, so i copied the database to the client computer, tried to export to pdf and there's the error again. To make the problem even stranger: sometimes it does export a pdf without any problem....

When i build the database it just worked, after i ran it from a server it didn't. I doesn't matter wich layout i try to export, it almost always gives me an error. I don't know why it does export sometimes. I don't do anything different.

I tried to google this problem to solve it but without any luck so far. Does somebody knows the solution?

AHunter3

Try this approach. Let's export to the Desktop folder of the client computer (you should NOT be exporting stuff to the FileMaker Server machine without compellingly good reason, it's bad practice).

Set Variable [$PDFPath; Case (Abs(Get(SystemPlatform)) = 1, "filemac", "filewin")&":/" & get(desktoppath) & "Untitled.pdf"]

Save Records as PDF [no dialog, $PDFPath, {current record or records being browsed, as you see fit}]

KeystoneTech
Try this approach. Let's export to the Desktop folder of the client computer (you should NOT be exporting stuff to the FileMaker Server machine without compellingly good reason, it's bad practice).

Set Variable [$PDFPath; Case (Abs(Get(SystemPlatform)) = 1, "filemac", "filewin")&":/" & get(desktoppath) & "Untitled.pdf"]

Save Records as PDF [no dialog, $PDFPath, {current record or records being browsed, as you see fit}]

I am a 3rd party support tech. I am new to FileMake Pro. Our Client has been using the program for a number of years. It was exporting to PDF just fine last week and Monday when the end user tried to send a new file to the shared folder it sent the same error as the one listed in this thread ("untitled.pdf" could not be created on this disk. Use a different name...". I have tried a simple name (test) and also tried to save to the local desktop, local documents, and to the shared folder. All attempts get the same error. There have been no changes to the configuration. I checked for recent Windows updates but there are none.

The end user is running Windows 7 Pro 64 and trying to save to a Windows 7 PC. It has worked without fault for a number of yers in this configuration.

I looked at scripts and do not see where anything has changed. Not really sure how they are suppose to look though. I installed PDFCreator and can print the document to the virtual printer as a workaround. The Excel export still works. Any assistance will be helpful.

AHunter3
It was exporting to PDF just fine last week and Monday when the end user tried to send a new file to the shared folder it sent the same error as the one listed in this thread ("untitled.pdf" could not be created on this disk. Use a different name...". I have tried a simple name (test) and also tried to save to the local desktop, local documents, and to the shared folder. All attempts get the same error. There have been no changes to the configuration. I checked for recent Windows updates but there are none.

The end user is running Windows 7 Pro 64 and trying to save to a Windows 7 PC. It has worked without fault for a number of yers in this configuration.

You've done a good investigation, ruling out a problematic file name, an unanticipated network share change, an OS update.

I looked at scripts and do not see where anything has changed.

This implies that you think a script could have been changed. So folks on site have access to modifying scripts? That's definitely a possibility here, then. OK, here are some questions whose answers may identify what's going on —

• Is the database being backed up, and, if so, have you examined the backups of earlier than last week when the script stopped working? Do the script steps look identical?

• Have you created an entirely new script, from scratch, using this template?:

If so, does that also fail?

• Create an entirely new database FILE. (One field, one record, the above-described script). Execute the script. Does it fail in the new file?

• ^^^ IF the script works in a new file but a new script does not work in the original file, is there any process (such as a scheduled hard drive backup) that might be copying the database file when it is open and running? Please tell me whether the file is a local file that is only opened by FileMaker Pro or if it is hosted on FileMaker Server. And please give me the version number(s) of FileMaker Pro and/or FileMaker Server. You already gave me the Windows OS version, thanks.

• ^^^ Meanwhile, if the script doesn't work in the new file either, please log in, at that computer, as a different Windows user, preferably an admin user. Repeat testing from this context. If it is username-specific, something is corrupted or changed with regards to this Windows user account. That something may be the FileMaker preferences. If the scripts (original file, new file) don't work for a different Windows user, do you have access to another computer there in that office with FileMaker installed? Try the testing from the other computer. If the scripts (original file, new file) don't work from a different computer, something is corrupted or changed on that computer. In either instance (user-level or computer-level issue) it is worth trying to uninstall and reinstall FileMaker from scratch, and you might opt to try that in lieu of the testing since it can address either problem.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.