The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
QuinnThompson

Number Calculation = Notification

QuinnThompson

Hi,

I have a relational database that uses merged fields. I have noticed that some calculations get messed up if my merged fields get too long (more than 17 characters) – don’t ask me why???

Example: style#: 123456789 & color name: red/white = 123456789red/white (18 characters is too long)

Because of this I’d like to create a field that will tell me if my style#&color merge are more than 17 characters.

This will be helpful when I have employee’s entering data and are either unaware of the limit or just forget to count the characters.

Thank for your help in advance!

Quinn

doughemi

The calculation would be If( Length(MergedField)>17; "Warning") , but it would not show until the user exited both of the merged fields.

But it would be interesting to know the calculation you are trying to perform on this field, and what the incorrect result is.

QuinnThompson

OK, that sound like it will work, I''l try it thank you!

As for the calculation issues, it's a bit hard to explain but here goes

My relational database adds and subtracts units based on the style & color & item status. This is how things look normally

Merged filed: "Style#" & "color" & "status": 123456bluereceived, or 123456blueshipped, or 123456blueopen, or 123456bluepicked

In one portal all of the style&color&received are added, in the next portal all of the stylecolorshipped are added and then subtracted from the stylecolorreceived to give me an in stock result. Calculations with "picked" and "open" follow next

What I have found is, if the "style#" & "color" are more than 17 characters merged, it throughs off or looses the proper relationship when it is merged with the "status" field.

Example: 123456789blackgoldshipped

Result: this merged field is now in multiple portals (received, shipped, open, picked) or in none at all

The only thing that I have found that keeps these relationships in their proper place is to limit the style&color merge to 17 characters or less.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

doughemi

This might be a result of the way indexes are created for text fields. I would suggest that you make a copy of your db and change your merge field to include a non-alphanumeric delimiter character (such as &, ~, or $) between the input fields (e.g. 123456&blue&shipped ) so that FileMaker does not consider the field as all one word when building the index.

QuinnThompson
The calculation would be If( Length(MergedField)>17; "Warning") , but it would not show until the user exited both of the merged fields.

But it would be interesting to know the calculation you are trying to perform on this field, and what the incorrect result is.

I'm getting an error when using this calculation. It highlights "Warning" and a dialog box pops up saying that "this field can not be found".

suggestions???

doughemi

That error indicates that you did not enclose Warning in quotes, or that there are some extra quotes somewhere in the calculation. Assuming that you are using this as a calculated field definition, the calc should be

If(Length(YourMergedField)>17; "Warning"; "")

(with the exact name of your merged field replacing YourMergedField, of course)

QuinnThompson
That error indicates that you did not enclose Warning in quotes, or that there are some extra quotes somewhere in the calculation. Assuming that you are using this as a calculated field definition, the calc should be

If(Length(YourMergedField)>17; "Warning"; "")

(with the exact name of your merged field replacing YourMergedField, of course)

I just tried it again, and the same error.

here's how it looked... If(Length(StyleColor)>17; "Warning"; "")

I'm using FMP 5.5, could that be the problem?

doughemi

Change the semicolon to a comma.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.