The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
penaloj

Finding unique records from a subset of the database

penaloj

I know how to find unique records in my database using the "self join" business (actually I don't fully understand the logic, I'm just following the suggestions on the Help page!). Now I need to find records that are unique within a subset of the data. The records are for plant specimens and the relevant fields are "species" and "location." Like this:

Year Location Species Unique1 Unique2

2011 A 1 Y Y

2011 A 1 N N

2011 A 2 Y Y

2011 A 2 N N

2012 B 1 N Y

2012 B 1 N N

2012 B 2 N Y

2012 B 2 N N

"Unique1" is my existing variable: it tags as unique the first ever occurrence of a species. If next year I collect the same species at a different location it is not unique by that definition. What I need is new variable "Unique2" which tags as unique the first occurrent of a species in any location.

I have no idea how to do this and will be grateful of any help the forum can give me.

Robert Schaub

Would it be easier if the filed was serialized? like

2011 A1 0001

2011 A1 0002

Where A1 YYYY & Unique are key and finding are serialized?

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.