Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

New record alert

redzwanlatif

Hi. I got 3 computers. Receptionist computer, doctor's computer and a server. The question is how could I give alert to the doctors computer whenever a patient come in? and how could the doctors give alert to the receptionist to call the patient into the doctors room?

The receptionist and doctor's computer are connected via Filemaker server.

Thanks in advance :)

Assuming, of course, that some kind of data entry task takes place at the receptionist's desk whenever a patient comes in, you could use the Troi Serial plug-in and have the act of completing the data entry task fire off a command to a physical device in the doctor's office to make it say "Hey doctor, you've got another patient" or even "Your patient 'Joe Blow' who has an 11:30 return visit appointment has now arrived".

The physical device could be a standard audio speaker, an LCD text display, or even a Billy Bass mechanical fish.

Is there any script to do this? The plug-in seems to be expensive. I just need the doctor to be notified by looking on the screen. Is it possible?

If the doctor is willing to LOOK AT something (or even perhaps click a button?), that's obviously easier than wanting the database to do something to get the doctor's attention.

If the doctor is fine with running a perpetual looping script as opposed to needing to do things in the database (looking stuff up, etc), that's also pretty easy.

A script can be attached to a button that does a FIND for any records created since the last time the script was run. Requires the doctor to go to the computer and click the button.

Or a looping script can be run that checks in perpetuity every xx seconds and beeps / notifies the doctor if there are any new recs. Does not require the doctor to do anything but will tie up the doctor's copy of FileMaker.

Another option is a script that runs (perhaps on FileMaker SERVER) every xx minutes and finds any new Visits records and emails the doctor; the doctor installs an email client (a real email program, not a web browser) which checks for new emails every xx minutes and beeps and alerts the doctor.

Thank you very much AHunter3 and Maarten Witberg. I used the Ontimer script to perform find every 30 seconds. To exit the script, I've used a blank Ontimer Script.

Thanks. Really appreciate your help. :)

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.