Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Filemaker and MySql

redzwanlatif

Hi. I have some questions related to connections between Filemaker and MySql.

I have MySql on the server and Filemaker on the clients.

The questions are ,

Where should I link the connections between Filemaker and MySql? External Data Source or Sharing>ODBC/JDBC?

Where should I create the database first? On Filemaker while developing or on MySql ?

When the Filemaker clients insert/update record, will the MySql Database updates automatically?

Thanks In Advance :)

Here is a TechBrief on how ESS works. I would highly recommend reading it. It will give you a good description about how it works, and how to set it up. http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/documentation/techbrief_intro_ess.pdf

I like to create the database with the ESS setup. Since a few things function slightly differently. But I can usually have the structure designed before I start programming.

With ESS, you are making the changes directly in the MySQL tables. There is no data stored within the FileMaker file itself.

Thanks :) . It solved some of my questions. I have one question remaining. When I develop the database, I'll create tables in Filemaker. After the database compiled as .exe , can I link to the MySql database ?

Nope. You can only connect to an external source by using FileMaker Pro ( or Advanced ). If you are creating a run-time ( which is what I think you mean by compiling the database into an exe ), it doesn't link to files outside of what you compiled, and it is not multi-user.

Correct. There are other options...but it will depend on you comfort level with the other options.

1. Install FM on each users' machine. Have a separate 'server' that does nothing except run the FM database, using preferably FileMaker Server or Server Advanced. Although, if absolutely necessary...you can use FileMaker Pro to host the file. Each user will connect via Open Remote, or a shortcut you provide that links to the database.

2. IWP - Instant Web Publishing. Limited to 5 concurrent users if not using Server Advanced. Some things work very different in IWP because of the stateless nature of browsers.

3. CWP - Custom Web Publishing - requires Server or Server Advanced and some web programming (PHP) experience. There is a site assistant that can help get you started. But it only generates very, very basic forms and such.

4. FM Go - iPhone/iPad app. Very cool mobile option...some things work different, and you need to account for possible disconnects, but very awesome.

For example, If I choose option no. 1 , do I have to buy 5 Filemaker software for 5 clients? and can I use MySql instead of Filemaker server?

If you choose to use external SQL tables, you end up using MySQL in addition to FileMaker Server.

FileMaker Pro does not natively connect to MySQL; individual FileMaker Pro databases (which you have to be inside of, using FileMaker Pro) can reference MySQL tables as their data sources.

For example, If I choose option no. 1 , do I have to buy 5 Filemaker software for 5 clients? and can I use MySql instead of Filemaker server?

You can technically have 5 licenses for 5 users and have the DSN setup on each machine and connect to the MySQL database, without having FM Server or using an additional license of FM Pro as a host. I haven't tested this in a while. But I believe you will run into some refresh issues. When the data changes, normally the host file using shadow tables will broadcast the changes to the connected users. Without a single file hosting, your individual users may not see the data changes immediately. ( But I could be wrong, it's been a solid 2+ years since I actually tested that )

If you need me to test it and let you know for sure, let me know. And I will test it when I get back to the office.

Thank you very much for the information. I've decided to use Filemaker server . A lot easier even It's expensive. Thanks :)

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.