BerkeleyUser

Having trouble with If function

BerkeleyUser

Hello. This may be very basic, but I can't seem to find the answers I need. I have questions about several fields:

1. I have a field called "Amt Pd," which contains both negative amounts (money I've paid to my workers) and positive amounts (money I've received from customers).

2. I also have a field called "PP Fee," which indicates the amount PayPal charges if someone buys my product using PayPal. (Not all do.)

3. I have a field called "Amt After PP," which is Amount Pd - PP Fee.

Here's what I'm having trouble with:

a. I want to add up the amount I have paid my workers. That is, I have a field in the Trailing Grand Summary called "Total Paid Out." How do I add the negative amounts?

b. I want to add up the amount I have earned, both before and after the PayPal fee is taken out. I would like these 2 results to be in the Trailing Grand Summary, too.

I tried using the If function, but I have no idea what to put for Result2.

I wonder if part of the problem is that I've put both negative and positive numbers in one field (Amount Pd). Or is that OK?

Thanks very much!

kirkrr

I might suggest creating 2 fields instead of one, dividing debits and credits into discrete fields. Also create a field for "PayPal tax" as a text field yes/no response, that in yet another field define an auto-enter calf defined, it could say IF (paypaltax="yes", receipts x taxrate#, 0)

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.