Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Relationships Between Tables

SusanPilgreen

Hello Fellow FileMaker Pro People.

I am a newbie to FileMaker and have FileMaker Pro 11. I am attempting to create a simple database that will track customers and invoices. I have created my tables and given them the appropriate primary and foreign keys. However, I have one table with a primary key that when I attempt to related it to the foreign key in another table it forms a many-to-many relationship rather than one-to-many. All of my other tables look correct where I have used primary and foreign keys. I've tried deleting and recreating the table and the primary key field, but I am still having problems. What am I doing wrong?

Thanking you in advance for all your help.

Susan Pilgreen

The Tennessee Magazine

Please tell us which specific tables you are relating that is resulting in a many to many relationship, and how you have determined that it is indeed doing that. (Are you just going on the basis of the little crows' feet in the diagram, or have you verified the occasional existence of real data that constitutes a many to many relationship?)

Include info on the primary and foreign key fields and the exact method by which records are created in each table.

Thanks so much for your response. I have one table, Customers, with a primary field only (CustomerID). Another table, Invoices, with a foreign key to relate to the Customer table. (This relationship looks correct.) I also have a primary key in the Invoice table to relate to the foreign key in a Line Items table. Initially, this relationship looked to be correct, but after discarding the first database and creating a second database, this relationships looks like a many to many connection. I am basing this on the crows feet. I do not understand why I have a primary key that is acting like a foreign key. The same is true of my Products table's primary key drawn to relate to the foreign key in my Invoice table. I can send a screen shot if that will be beneficial.

Thanks so much for your assistance!

Susan Pilgreen

I neglected to tell you I created the tables, fields and relationships by going to Manage Database.

Thanks.

Susan Pilgreen

Important Information

Terms of Use