Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Can I use portal for this relationship?

Georgerc

Hello everybody, I have two tables. 1. Equipment list, that has Equipment Name, Speed, Cost per hour 2.Estimation, that calculates the material and cost of using the equipment. I have got Equipment Name related in both tables. So In Estimation, when I choose Equipment name, I have its speed and Cost per hour displayed in fields. But sometimes, I use more than one Equipment to do the job. So technically, I need two records from Equipment List to be displayed in one estimation record. So I tried Portal. But I get all the equipment listed there. I only need the equipment I select. How can I do that? George

• Gold Members

Can you list all of the fields in each of your tables, Equipment list and Estimation? It would be helpful to see a screenshot of the relationship graph. It's pretty clear that you have a data modeling problem, but more information is needed.

There are two tables.

1. Equipment List. This table has Name of the Equipment, all fields needed to calculate the depreciation and the Cost per hr for that equipment.

2. Estimation. This table has all the fields related to calculating the cost of materials and Labor cost for the job. And the field from the equipment list for Cost per Hr for the equipment used for that job.

So Equipment name and Cost Per Hr are linked from the Equipment table.

Sometimes we use more than one equipment for the job. So far I don't have problem getting one equipment info using the ordinary field. How do I get the second equipment's cost per hr in the same record?

I hope this give the idea of what I am trying to do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold Members

1. Sorry for the delay in replying. 2) It appears that what you have here is an incomplete data model. You might have two tables, but you really need four: EQUIPMENT, ESTIMATION, and JOB for each of the entity types, plus one to capture the relationship between the three (call it JOB_ESTIMATE). In relational database theory, a ternary relationship is a relationship among three entity types. It can be 1:1:1 or 1:M:1 or 1:M:N or M:N:P. Let's assume that it's the third (a Many to Many to Many relationship). For a given pair of EQUIPMENT and JOB, there are many estimatations. For a given pair of JOB and ESTIMATATION, there are many EQUIPMENT. For a given pair of EQUIPMENT and ESTIMATION, there are many jobs. A layout could be based on each of the entity types. The portal on each layout would be based on the relationship table, JOB_ESTIMATE. I can give you more help if you want to contact me directly.

Important Information

Terms of Use