Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Portal Headache

extreme

can someone please advise

I have a form called contacts

a form called survey

a form called survey detail

I have put a portal row in the survey form but its not showing details from survey detail.

I have been reading and viewing videos to try and sort it but can't

Can someone please advise I have attached what I have done.

Thank you portal.fp7

For anything to display in the portal you have setup there needs to be a match between two fields in different tables.

Your portal is setup as ---> Survey::Survey_ID = Survey_Detail::Survey_ID

But you do NOT have any values in either of those fields on either side of the relationship. If Survey::Survey_ID=001 then the portal will display any Survey_Detail items that also have a Survey_Details::Survey_ID = 001.

Thanks Techphan for the reply

I know i have been here a while but im still a noob at filemaker

Would it be possable to explain in easy terms what I need to do please

Thanks

Well, first thing I would go back to the database planning and make sure the data is stored correctly in each of the three tables, and that the tables are related correctly to each other. By this I mean make sure the fields (information) belongs in the table where it now resides. Very few fields should be empty. I noticed in your uploaded DB that there were many fields without data (unless you removed them to protect privacy). And if the relationship fields are empty in either table there will never be records in the portal.** (see last sentence for an exception).

And as far as portals are concerned, let's take a hypothetical situation where I have a lot of customers. And since I have a good memory for faces (true) and a bad memory for names (also true), I want to make a special area of my Customer form where I can look up names.

So I create a Global::LastName field in a table called Global, with a relationship to a new TO (table occurrence) of CustomerNameSearch::LastName based on the Customer table. So I now a have layout with only one field field (Global::LastName) and a customer portal (based on the new TO).

If the name field is blank, then there will be no records in the portal. If I type "Smith" in the name field and tab put (commits record) then all records with a last name "Smith" will appear in the portal (based on a match in the the two last name fields). (Note:There are actually very clever ways to allow portal filtering by typing and the search narrows letter by letter, but we will leave that for another time.}

**You can arrange so that ALL child records show in a portal by using an "x" relationship between the two tables instead of an "=" relationship.

Techphan thank you for the time to explain to me.

But im sorry I have been on this all day with still no joy.

How much will it cost if you could alter my file attached so I could view how its done.

Thank you again

Techphan thank you for the time to explain to me.

But im sorry I have been on this all day with still no joy.

Don't feel too bad... we have all been there at one time.

How much will it cost if you could alter my file attached so I could view how its done.

Thank you again

Oh, it will cost a lot, about --- NOTHING!!! I will work on your database that I downloaded. Give me until tomorrow to get back to you.

I took a few minutes to modify your file. I'm sure that the changes are pretty much what Techphan will suggest.

Note that the ID fields have been changed to number fields, and that the auto-enter fields are set to prohibit modification during data entry. The match fields in the Survey and Survey_Detail tables are now indexed. That is required of the match field on the child side of a relationship.

Note also the changes to the scripts New Survey and New Sample. Each includes a Set Variable step while on the original layout. That grabs the ID of the parent record. Each script also includes a Set Field step after the new child record is created. That is how the match field is populated thus creating a relationship between the parent and child records.

I hope that helps.

portal_modified.fp7

Important Information

Terms of Use