Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

How to save data like this... Tag/Value pair

talenone

Hello Everyone,

Scenario: I have create a table namely Agreements, where i have 3 columns namely Id, Tag and Value.

Requirement: While entering data from screen I want to save data like this:

Id Tag Value

1 A 123

1 B 456

2 A 101

2 B 204 and so on.

How can I store/save data like this in a table, appreciate if someone could let me know exactly what needs to be done.

Please assist, I am stuck.

Thanks,

-DS.

Let me explain further

There is a table namely; Agreement

There are 3 columns in the above table namely; Id, Tag, Value

There are namely 4 text boxes on screen; txtAgreementId, txtRoom1, txtRoom2, txtRoom3

So while inputing data it should saved like this:

Id = txtAgreementId.value

Tag = 'txtRoom1'

Value = txtRoom1.value

Reason for doing this to avoid number of columns comparing to number of Rooms, because in case if the room numbers increases then i have to increase the number of columns.

Please assist.

Thanks,

-DS.

Please elaborate / clarify:

There are 3 columns in the above table namely; Id, Tag, Value

There are namely 4 text boxes on screen; txtAgreementId, txtRoom1, txtRoom2, txtRoom3

What is the difference between a "column" and a "text box" and which of these are FileMaker fields in the the Agreement table? Those that are not fields in the Agreement table: what the heck ARE they? If they are all fields, why do you divide them up between "columns" and "text boxes"?

Please elaborate / clarify:

What is the difference between a "column" and a "text box" and which of these are FileMaker fields in the the Agreement table? Those that are not fields in the Agreement table: what the heck ARE they? If they are all fields, why do you divide them up between "columns" and "text boxes"?

A column is a FileMaker field so in this scenario Id, Tag, Value are fields. A textbox is a FileMaker Editbox. My screen has namely 4 Editboxes with captions/labels AgreementId, Room1, Room2, Room3, Room4. AgreementId can be attach to Id field, now to save the values of the remaining 3 Editboxes I want to use Tag and Value fields so instead of creating 4 fields to save values I should be saving like this Tag="Room1" and Value=2nd Editbox value, Tag="Room2" and Value=3rd Editbox value, Tag="Room3" and Value=4th Editbox value.

I am trying to achieve this, so then it would be easy to display all records in PORTAL, as PORTAL only displays data on record by record basis.

If you have some better solution then I am always open for suggestions.

Thanks,

-DS.

An editbox is how a field is formatted. Therefore your screen has four FIELDS which have been FORMATTED AS editboxes.

What fields would they be? Why not just put the Tag field on the layout, formatted AS an editbox, and so forth? Where did these fields come from? If you want data in Tag why are you typing it into the Room1 field (or whatever field it is that is captioned / labeled as "Room1") ?

I'm still not at all clear on what you're trying to do, why you're trying to do it, or what snags you are experiencing.

Maybe step back and start over with what you are trying to accomplish and not with how you are trying to accomplish it?

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.