Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Create Categories for Contacts via portal

Stephen Wallace

Hello,

I am working on a solution that contains a Contacts table. I would like to have a portal on this table that will enable me to assign a variety of categories (almost like keywords or tagging).

I have a categories table for the individual categories and a join table for the individual line items. I thought I created the correct relationships and parent/child keys in order to create the fields, but something isn't working.

My ultimate goal is to be able to tab into this field and assign categories that have been previously used, if not, be able to type in a new category and have it be added to the categories table in order to populate a value list.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Stephen

My ultimate goal is to be able to tab into this field and assign categories that have been previously used, if not, be able to type in a new category and have it be added to the categories table in order to populate a value list.

This is the easier part. Place a button over the Category Portal for a new record, then use something like this script to create a new category record:

Go to Layout [Category New Record Form]

New Record/Request []

Set Field [DateCreated ; Get(CurrentDate)]

Go to Field [CategotyName]

Next, place a button at the bottom of the form to "Save Record" but it also goes back to the original Contacts layout:

Commit Record/Request []

Go to Layout [Contacts]

**This leaves off where you started but you have added the new category**

I have a categories table for the individual categories and a join table for the individual line items. I thought I created the correct relationships and parent/child keys in order to create the fields, but something isn't working.

I think that I would use a text field to store the category or categories assigned to each contact. The key is to store each assigned category on a separate line of the text field using the "¶" symbol in the calculation as a separator.

I would like to have a portal on this table that will enable me to assign a variety of categories (almost like keywords or tagging).

The category portal should have an "x" relationship with any field in the contact table so that all categories are displayed. Make a button in the portal or out of the field (or one of the fields) in the portal, assigned to a script:

Set Variable [$PortalCategory; Category::Description]

Go to Field [Contact::Category]

If IsEmpty (Contact::Category)

...Set Field [Contact::Category ; $PortalCategory]

End If

If Not (IsEmpty (Contact::Category))

...Set Field [Contact::Category ; Contact::Category & ¶ & $PortalCategory]

End If

Important Information

Terms of Use