Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Inventory DB Design question

cpardy

Hi All,

I am in the process of designing an inventory DB. The problem I am having is, I want to have to types of items, Devices and components. Meaning that a device may have several components associated with it, but a component would not. There are going to be other aspects as well like a maintenance history ect..

What I want to know is if when i have a record showing an item from the Device category, can I show, and enter (in a portal perhaps items from the components category without having to make separate tables for each. I think this would be easy using a related table but what sucks about that is all of the fields in the two table would be identical, with the exception of a category; Device/Component. But to keep is simple I would like only use one table for the inventory data.

Please let me know if further explanation would be helpful.. Thank you and Merry Christmas.

CP

You want a selfjoin relationship, a relationship of the table to a second occurrence of that same table. It should allow record creation via the relationship.

Assuming you have a unique primary-key type field in this table, create a new field Device ID, then make this relationship where Components is a new table occurrence of Items (or whatever you call your table):

Items...........Components

Serial Number = Device ID

Now you can put a portal to Components on your layout.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.