Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Can anyone help with a relationship problem?

beckham

Hi I have a problem...

I have a filemaker "label" database with records that have a unique ID number.

I wish to import these into a second database using "lookup", I have created the relationship between the fields eg: label1 lookup - unique ID and everything appears to work OK, but when i repeat the process (to lookup a second label) eg: label2 lookup - unique ID into the same record it fails to work what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for helping

Can you re-explain that with the unabridged version of the details?

I have a filemaker "label" database with records that have a unique ID number.

So far so good...

I wish to import these into a second database using "lookup"

Please explain mouse-click for mouse-click, keystroke for keystroke, and field defintion for field definition and relationship for relationship EXACTLY what you mean by "import these into a second database using "lookup". I've been working in FileMaker since before relationships existed, used lookups extensively, and yet I don't know what you mean here. Probably no one else does either.

, I have created the relationship between the fields eg: label1 lookup - unique ID

Meaning you have this relationship?

Second Database........ Label

Label1 Lookup = Unique ID

That much makes sense but you did say import. Why do you need or have a relationship if you are importing? Are you ONLY importing the one individual field "Label1 Lookup" and all the other fields are defined as lookups via this relationship? Is there a reason why you aren't just importing the records in their entirety to begin with?

and everything appears to work OK, but when i repeat the process (to lookup a second label) eg: label2 lookup - unique ID into the same record it fails to work

Fails HOW? It overwrites the first label? It pops up a FileMaker Pro error message and won't import anything? Your computer crashes? A large pink hippopotamus comes and sits on your workstation and crushes it every time you try to click the "OK" button? Something else?

what am I doing wrong?

I'm not even sure what you're doing right, yet. Nothing personal.

Thanks for the reply, sorry if my description is impossible to understand..I'll try again..

I have a simple database containing description labels, each label is a separate record, each record as a unique record ID.

I have another workflow database where I would like to show information held within the "label database" so I created a relationship between the 2 using a field in workflow named "lookup1" to a field in Labels named "unique ID", so when I enter the unique ID number in "workflow-lookup1" the label information is displayed in a field within the workflow database (I hope your still with me) everything works OK this far!

The problem is when I want to display more than 1 set of label information in the workflow database, it fails by importing nothing.. not even into the previous field that was working when only 1 label was to be displayed..

Be careful with comments about the "large pink hippopotamus" the wife is sat at the side of me ;-)

When you wish to import a "label 2" value into each of the SAME records into which you already imported "Label 1" values...

a) are you importing into a different field, Label2Lookup or some such thing? (You need to be; if you import into the original Label1Lookup you would overwrite your first set of data)

b) do you have a second relationship defined like so?:

Second Database........ Label 2ndTableOccurrence

Label2 Lookup = Unique ID

If not, you need that also. A relationship basted on label1lookup isn't going to do anything useful as far as data imported into label2lookup is concerned.

c) How, exactly, are you importing values into records that already exist (at this point) in Second Database? UPDATE MATCHING records? Matching what, though? Each individual label value in Labels is a separate record, correct? So let's say you have "foo" in one record in Labels and farther down you have a value "bar" in a different record. in Second Database you want "foo" in the first label field and "bar" in the second label field. Fine, but how are you attempting to import the "bar" record's Unique ID into the Label2 Lookup field of the SPECIFIC record that already has the "foo" Unique ID in Label 1Lookup? There's nothing to match!! And if you import "Add New Records" instead of "Update matching records", you'd end up with a "bar" record that doesn't have "foo" and the existing "foo" record would not contain "bar". Are you using "Update EXISTING Records", perhaps? If so are you sure you're pulling values into Label2 Lookup and not Label1 Lookup? Are you doing a Show All Records before importing (you need to)?

Important Information

Terms of Use