Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Is there an easier way in this scenario...

Stephen Wallace

Hello!

I have 2 tables that are joined through a relationship. One is a report and the other is a list of expenses. Within the expenses tables, I have about 15 individual categories. In my report table, I need to have fields that can give me a summary of the related data in those individual categories.

What would be the cleanest way to do this? Again, I am not needing to create a "report" where I can do sub-summaries, I need to have an actual field that gives me a sum of the related data by group.

Thanks,

Stephen

It sounds from your escription that youou need a third table, Report Expenses, that sits inbetween Reports (many) and Expenses (many), which is called a "join table" in FileMaker terminology. In this table is the detail that can be sub-summarized for reports.

I though it might be a many-to-many but every expense can only be part of just one report. So if that's the case, it would be a one-to-many relationship, right?

No...

...but every expense can only be part of just one report.

But you will have many reports, right? And in every report you will have many expenses, right? The join table will identify each separate report by uniqueID, date, and client number.

If this is not how you need your database to behave then maybe we need to know a little more about your structure and desired goals.

Important Information

Terms of Use